We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something within an hour's drive

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Something within an hour's drive

Hi,

I'm coming to Miami from the U.K with my brothers (we're 27-32) at the end of April. We're gonna be partying lots but want to get out the city at some point. The Keys are going to be too far for us so looking for recommendations of somwhere to go within an hour's drive or so of Miami. Not especially keen on 'booking' something i.e a tour,instead we're more looking for a good drive/drive to a good view/drive to an awesome coastal restaurant, something that we'll enjoy getting to and enjoy whilst we're there. We'll be heading to Orlando the following week so somewhere in a different direction is preferred but not a must.

Thanks in advance

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,485 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something within an hour's drive

Just follow Highway A1A north. Its the coastal road along the beach, Ft. Lauderdale will be the next large city and after that Palm Beach. If you go that far (about 1 1/2 hrs) check out Worth Ave with all the high end shops. Check the forum on where to dine while there. Plenty of good restaurants or just hang out in FLL, take the water taxi around to some bars / restaurants.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something within an hour's drive

Thanks mate, much appreciated

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something within an hour's drive

Head south on the turnpike, exit 2 you'll find Homestead Miami Speedway, take the free tour. Once finished with the tour there's Biscayne National Park, grab a sub from Publix and enjoy a picnic near the bay...

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,520 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something within an hour's drive

FJL>

I love a road trip!

On particularly breezy days, suddenly my friends and I feel "too sick to work" - so we fill an ice chest and drive south to the Upper Keys. It is an easy and SCENIC trip where you and your brothers can see some of the REAL Florida stopping en route to take photos, drink and eat... and be home by nightfall.

Print yourself my GOOGLE MAP and you're ready to roll!

www.tinyurl.com/KEYDRIVE-AG

Drive down the Card Sound Road to ALABAMA JACKS - a dive bar by the water with cheap drinks and an odd looking crowd...

From there you can venture to other Upper Keys bars like The Buzzards Roost, Shipwrecks, Snooks, and finish the trip at Lorelai Bar on Islamorada (which is 86 miles from South Beach)... look at the photos here >

http://loreleicabanabar.com/

AG

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something within an hour's drive

Advisor Girl and I are thinking alike! MUCH more scenic than other routes and you can see some of the famous waters of the Keys! If you don't fancy driving too far south, stop at Key Largo and go out on one of the boats at the Marina there for a couple of hours! Like a different country from Miami and Orlando!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something within an hour's drive

That is exactly what I would do - take a ride down Card Sound Road - swing by Alabama Jacks - If I was going to drive down I would carry on into Key Largo - and drive back up US1 - that will give you a road trip feel - If you want a stop in Key Largo try Carribean Club or Sundowners. It's a lovely easy drive (once out of Miami)

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something within an hour's drive

A great day. Leave Miami after rush hour and drive to Alabamba Jack's. Enjoy a leisurely hour just kicking back and enjoying the scenery and conch fritters/cold beer or cocktails. Often manatee will be in the water just by the bar! Now that you are in a "Keys" state of mind, head down to Key Largo and have lunch (Buzzard's Roost, Snappers, Mrs Mac's Kitchen). If you want to, hop on a boat at the marina ck times online for either sightsee, snorkel etc. The waters here are unbelievable turquoise, quite dif from Miami. Back on dry land the Caribbean Club and Sundowner's are great ideas for late afternoon and sunset. After a great tropical day head back to Miami...Martin is right, that is a real road trip day! Be sure to have bathing suits along if not wearing them. Never know when those waters will beckon you for a dip!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something within an hour's drive

I'd throw in a stop at the Anhinga Trail in the Florida Everglades - - the entrance is on the way to the Keys and an easy drive from Miami.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Something within an hour's drive

Guys, thanks so much for all the replies, there are some great options here

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Something within an hour's drive

Let us know what you did and how you found Miami ?