We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keywest,FL

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Topic
Keywest,FL

Hi,

We are planning on a road trip towards Key West,FL for a day.Can someone suggest is it worth it?If so what time would be the best to leave like sun rise or sunset or to avoid rush hour and what all should we look out for while driving down?

thanks

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keywest,FL

IMO you really need an overnight for this trip. There is only one major road thru all of the Keys and Key West is where it ends. One traffic mishap and you could be held up literally for hours. Now you do say "towards" so maybe you would enjoy just going as far as islamorada or Marathon...it is a beautiful area. What do you want to do/see? Do you snorkel, fish etc? Interested in getting out on the water or just prefer a waterside luch and lounging about? What area will you be leaving from? Makes a big diff traffic wise....

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,557 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keywest,FL

The "worth it" part is entirely up to you. I suspect most folks will say no, not worth it. They will suggest you dont have the time to enjoy yourself, to catch the 'vibe' that they Keys is known for etc. Again its your call. Is there something specific you'd like to see or do in Key West ? If so I say go for it. My only suggestion is to resist the urge to speed, especially in the Keys. There are plenty of things to see and do, should you decide to go may I suggest posting in the local Key West board for better info. Enjoy

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keywest,FL

Ob is right. If all is flowing smoothly its a great trip. Look at the Florida Keys & Key West forums for lots of itineraries of others who have made the trip. Many recommend Robert is here as a first stop which is in Florida city just at the top of the keys. Others recommend Alabama Jacks. There are 4 major keys (each has their own flavor and things to see & do). Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon and Key West being the major ones with lots of little ones in between. If you decide to do this as a day trip I would leave very early in the day so you have time to make some stops. If not going all the way to KW I would try to go at least to the 7 Mile bridge just to say you have been there, done that.

I also agree with Ob that an overnight is best. Especially if staying for sunset. Its worth doing if you ask me. Keep in mind the keys are very laid back, shorts & flips flops are standard dress and most places are just as casual at dinner. Also be aware of the cashless tolls along the turnpike on the way to the keys or look for the directions on how to avoid them. Do a search and you will find them as they have been posted many times.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,501 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keywest,FL

I don't know what time of year you will be doing this but IMHO there is no way you will want to be driving back to Miami in the dark. The road to/from Key West is narrow and unlit in a lot of parts and although we have done the drive there and back 8 years running and think we know the road well, we would not attempt the drive after dark. Better if you can stay the night somewhere in the Keys and drive back the next day.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keywest,FL

Or lv Miami in the am before 9 and plan to be North of Key Largo before dark. This time of year thru Oct it will be light til 7:30 pm at least so you can get in a day.....I personally would not go south of Marathon if doing it in a day.

6. Re: Keywest,FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:18