We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami plus one other stop ?

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Miami plus one other stop ?

Looking to go to Miami in June next year for 7 nights but would like to take in another area in Florida.

There will be 4 of us and we will probably stay at somewhere like the SLS on Miami Beach so where would you suggest we went for another 3 or 4 nights ?

The Keys

Fort Lauderdale

or somewhere else?

We like to stay somewhere nice but also like to have somewhere nice to go in the night with a good choice of restaurants and people watch. I know other destinations will not be as lively as Miami but its always nice to have some sort of scene in the evenings whilst the day is for relaxing

Any suggestions would be appreciated

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

Sounds like you are describing key west to me!

The drive down the keys is unbelievable and there's plenty to do, see, lovely places to eat - oh and the bars! and you can certainly people watch. Its Florida with a Caribbean feel..

Also like fort lauderdale, more chilled out than Miami.

Happy planning!

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

How long would the drive between Miami Beach and Key West ?

Where would be the best place to stay in Key West for restaurants and bars?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

Key West would be a good choice. Plan on about a 4hr drive down, resist the urge to speed. Repost your questions in the local Keys board along with some idea of your budget, likes/dislikes for better info.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,909 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

You will need to stay in "old town" Key West to be near the bars etc. Have a look at the hotels/B&Bs down there on the Key West Forum. It's a great place with masses to see and do and as ppmaiden says, the drive is spectacular.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

We are still contemplating The Keys or Fort Lauderdale. I guess FL is quieter than The Keys?

We intended to go to Miami the last week in June but are slightly concerned about the weather.

We have been reading up on a few things and it looks as the later in June we leave it, the more likelihood of more rain.

So in your experience do you think we should bring our visit to Miami and then the Keys or FL forward by 2 weeks ? If we went early June would the chances of rain be less?

Also would the weather in The Keys be more likely to be better at this time or Fort Lauderdale.

I know it is difficult to predict but anyone know what the weather was like this June?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

Late May early June is the start of our "rainy" season. Normally it doesn't rain all day, but there can be those odd ball storms that stick around. So it will rain while your here...

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

Late May early June is the start of our "rainy" season. Normally it doesn't rain all day, but there can be those odd ball storms that stick around. So it will rain while you're here...

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

Guessing weather in advance is tough, but on average, your chances of rain are more in early or mid-June than in late June. There is a bit of a lull in rain from late June through July, and then rainfall increases again in August/September. On average, Miami averages about 8.6 inches of rain in June, 5.8 in July, and over 8" for each of Aug and Sep. (Miami Beach gets about an inch less than Miami in each of those months).

This year was a big exception, with record July rainfall in many parts of South Florida, 18+ inches in Miami Beach, so your mileage can vary. But I would keep the late June dates, or move them towards early July if you wanted to improve your odds for less rain.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

I was reading that the rainy season stretches from 1st June to 1st December ......Crikey, that is a long time for potential rain.

Saying that I am from the UK so it rains all the time.

I will leave the late June/early July dates as they are then and keep my fingers crossed.

I guess it wouldnt normally rain all day

Would you say The Keys or FL would be better for early July?

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miami plus one other stop ?

After Oct 15 rain chances drop a lot. Also, there is a pronounced decline during July. The City of Miami (mainland) and Fort Lauderdale get more rain than Miami Beach during the summer (by about 30%), and Miami Beach gets more rain than Key West (by another 30% or so). I don't recommend making your plans solely on rain chances, any one week can be very different from average. Summer rains do tend to be mostly in the afternoons for an hour or two, unless there is a tropical depression in the area.