We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

Since I'm the TA lurker in my family, I'm asking this on behalf of my daughter, who is about to start a 10 month stay in the Miami area working with City Year.

Her stay there begins with a few weeks of training in the downtown area before she is assigned to a school. By mid August she will have a car, but for the first week or so she will have to rely on public transit.

A lot of hostels and less expensive places to stay are near the beach areas, but I don't know how convenient it would be for her to stay there when she has to be in the downtown area during the weekdays. Eventually she will settle into a more permanent place to stay, but do you have any suggestions for places to look for her to stay for a week or two? She will need good access from the Miami airport, too.

Mentioned in this post
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

The Metrobus system runs plenty of buses from the beaches (there's more than just Miami Beach) to downtown. The beaches are heavily pedestrian (as has been noted by the people working for Burn Notice), and have adequate bus service, too.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metrobus.asp

Metrobus runs a cheap express bus from the airport to Miami Beach. It's a relatively new service, the sort that should have been running all along.

If for some reason the beaches don't work out, Coral Gables and South Miami (close to the University of Miami) could be mainland alternatives.

I'm surprised that none of the excellent local experts have shown up yet.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,101 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

Thank you- that's a great start. It's pretty late your time so I'm not surprised that I haven't gotten a ton of answers yet.

oxy
nyc
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

traffic from south beach to downtown in rush hour is very bad. doing it every day will be very taxing. it is much better to stay along metro rail in coral gables (very easy commute, lots of people taking it to work). buses are doable but slow. I am not a local, but I stay for extended time around downtown/brickell without the car. downtown is north of river, south of river is financial area (brickell).

i manage pretty well between metro-rail/metromover and buses. check out homeaway.com and vrbo.com for furnished accommodations. lots available in any bracket.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

Thank you so much! Very helpful. As always, I love tripadvisor contributors!

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
7,444 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

For a week or two, I suggest finding a place in or near south beach. There are buses that go downtown at all hours, as well as the airport until late night. It's also very walkable so you don't need a car for everyday necessities. Where to stay depends on budget, but as you mentioned hostels, there are several in the area. Among the better rated ones are Freehand, Miami Hostel (Alton Rd), South Beach Hostel (Washington Ave 200 block), Jazz (Collins Ave), Tropics (1500 Collins). Also, apartments that offer short-term rentals: Mantell Plaza (24 Street), Tradewinds (Pinetree Drive), Subbrite (Pennsylvania Ave) plus others.

This is an older article that still has some useful info:

miamibeach411.com/news/south-beach-hostels

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,101 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
oxy
nyc
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

just wanted to add that there is a very lively scene of young professional locals (as opposed to tourists in sobe) in coral gables and in brickell - gathering around miracle mile restos and mary brickell village. I would think that would be much more useful for your daughter in terms of contacts then hostels. you can meet recent transplants to Miami by a dozen. if budget is of essence, the area near university metro-rail stop offers a lot of options for students.

Mentioned in this post
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

I want to thank you all for your input. I've shared this info with my daughter and I know she appreciates it, too.

Oxy, your last post hit the spot- since she's there for work and training, I think the kind of crowd you describe around the university and Coral Gables will be more in her interests.

So far, she has booked a week through air bnb in a downtown condo while she starts her training. She is still looking into other locations for later, including the Coral Gables area. I hope something turns up!

Mentioned in this post
miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

mac>

I think the Downtown condo idea is a good one for the first week or 2. Public transport is problematic this time of year because we get sudden and drenching rains and that's no way to get to work! Downtown is circled by a free monorail (print maps posted top right of this page on FAQ)...

Once she has a car, I think she will gravitate to the residential parts of South Beach (west side) where she can spend her free time surrounded by people her age & interests. Drive time to Downtown from South Beach is WAY quicker than the traffic corridor that is US-1. Search post code 33139 for apartments.

maps southbeach-usa.com/maps/miami-beach-maps.htm

The UM area is going to be very quiet until school starts and even then, she may feel a little past the age of beer bashes and unlimited chicken wings... (you would know better than we do).

Please know that TripAdvisor sometimes shuts down relocation threads since they are not travel related. Your daughter is welcome to contact me via Facebook if she needs help once she arrives in Miami.

www.facebook.com/AG.SoBe

AG

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,101 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

is NEW WORLD SCHOOL OF THE ARTS near downtown Miami? trying to match up different maps and not sure ...actual location of the school - address is 25 NE 2nd street, Miami 33132..

is this a SAFE neighborhood ? daughter might be going to school in spring/April for a dance invitational..

several hotel in area offering discount for the dancers : River Park , Courtyard by Marriot, Doubletree , Marriot-Biscayne Bay, Hilton -Miami downtown..any comments about these locations --also looking for recommendations for parents , in where to stay for 4-5 days , if we can't get into the hotels reserve for the dancers?

Would we need a car to get around town from airport ( heard/read that shuttle is not so bad..) and around town , read there is free metrovar rail / plus bus system...?

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Area to stay with easy transport to downtown Miami?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 06:19