We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

My husband and I are traveling the end of June, 2014. We will be flying in from Dallas,(both FLL and MIA will be non-stop flights, and the airfare difference is negligible at this point). We will be renting a car and driving to the Keys for a week, then driving back up on Monday, June 30 and leaving on a cruise that day, from Miami. Our cruise return will be Friday, July 4 if that makes a difference. My question is, with the car rental, driving, dropping off the car and getting back to the port, which airport would be the easiest for us? It does look like car rentals are much cheaper from FLL.

Thanks for any advice!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

How do you plan on getting from the rental car agency to the cruise port ? It can be expensive to get from Ft Lauderdale to the Port of Miami, potentially eating up any rental car savings.

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

From the Miami airport, either a shuttle or taxi to the port; from Ft. Lauderdale shared shuttle. I've read that the Miami airport is hectic to get in and out of and that Ft. Lauderdale is much easier. That's why I'm trying to get several opinions - we've never been to either airport.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

I would rather land in Tehran than Miami. Worst airport ANYWHERE! Def choose Ft. Lauderdale

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,240 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

MIA has been extensively rebuilt in recent years, with an elaborate car rental facility that opened three or four years ago. To judge from recent comments at TripAdvisor, FLL still seems the nicer airport (my only experience there was when a flight to Tampa couldn't land due to fog....guess where the alternative was!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

Both airports have on going construction in and around them, provided the over savings is there its your call. Miami to the Cruise Port 15mins. Ft Lauderdale to the Port of Miami 45mins. Also keep in mind you will be driving past Miami and then doubling back...

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

Unless you're saving something like $100+ on the car rental, go with MIA. It's more busy than FLL, but not to the point I would avoid it at all cost. Getting to FLL will cost you both time and money.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

@carmela - >>I would rather land in Tehran than Miami. Worst airport ANYWHERE! Def choose Ft. Lauderdale<<

I so agree with you. Thank you for the best laugh I've had all day :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

People really think Miami airport is that bad? I go from NYC - MIA once every other month, and I prefer Miami by a mile compared to the dumps in NYC....and I live in NYC.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

Fly to MIA. Save yourself the hassle of I-95 traffic.

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help deciding between FLL and MIA

Thanks for all the advice! I think we'll do Miami and really watch the rental car rates. From other posts I've read, some of the rental car agencies have free shuttles to the port from the MIA airport sites. Sounds almost hassle-free to me.