We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst airport ever Miami

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
6 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Worst airport ever Miami

It's big, poorly signed, hideously expensive and staffed by the most unhappy people on earth. Avoid transit through this behemoth if you can possibly avoid it. WiFi is $5 for a half hour. A sweatshirt will cost you $45 and the only food is microwaved sludge. Even water tastes like sewage. I've traveled the world and back and never disliked an airport more. Go through Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm if you have the chance and shun this place if you can.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,881 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

Sorry to hear that, I guess I feel the same way about Heathrow.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

MIA is probably the worst in the USA, but not the world- I have seen worse I can tell you.

Then again, I don't buy clothes in APs nor do I eat their fast food.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

No kidding -- I can't think of an airport anywhere on the planet that's staffed by wonderful people, has bargains on clothing, and offers cheap, healthy food.

OP's description of Miami could apply to any airport I've flown through on a couple of continents.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

I have been to APs that were metal sheds, ones with thousands of Pax and no food etc. There is a whole big world out there of crappy APs. Did someone tie you down and force you to buy a sweatshirt for just shy of $50? did someone force feed you gruel? Just say no.

As my 3 boys would say (when I complain about stuff) First World Problem, mom. IE stop complaining, it can ALWAYS be worse.

London, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

I agree with Amanx, its only an airport not your final destination! Incidentally for other people passing through it, it is very large and I would recommend plenty of time to go through security and/or immigration as queues were long when we were there. I found the staff friendly and helpful, the airport was easy to get around. The only place I got a bit confused was at the car rental centre when we were trying to figure out where to get the 150 bus from. On the layover back to Heathrow, we had a nice dinner in TGIs, sat there in a comfy booth for ages. Don't really consider it worth a forum topic IMO.

cheshire
Level Contributor
164 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

Vanessa , just wondering we drop car at Avis near airport is it easy to get back to airport to catch plane home. Thanks

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

"Poorly signed" and "unhappy people". I can't disagree with that.

I would use it again as my only choice, but I also hate that airport. Orlando has spoiled me.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

Re. returning the car at RCC and getting to the airport, yes, very easy - follow signs to the free MIA Mover light rail. It has only two stops, at the RCC and at the airport. Allow about 15 mins including waiting for the MIA Mover.

miami
Level Contributor
422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

Wow, anything else you would like to say to trash our airport??? My husband works there and not all employees are unhappy people. Try purchasing bottled water if you can't stand the taste of our tap water. The times I have flown from O'Hare the WIFI was not free but I did call and they gave me a courtesy, it's probably the same company, try calling next time for access! And as many others have said, a sweatshirt in any airport is very costly. I'm proud of how far our Airport has come!

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worst airport ever Miami

I agree with the OP - Miami's Airport needs some serious redo. Customs in Miami is a zoo, few people speak English (or English that you can understand), staff in airport shops are just plain rude ( IF they actually finally wait on you), signs are all in Spanish, lines are horrid, and it is basically a third world country (which is fine if you are in a third world nation). I have been in worse APs also, but for an AP n the US - not acceptable. I avoid Miami airport at all costs.