We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick up luggage?

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pick up luggage?

Hi All.

I'm flying from St. Thomas, usvi, to Copenhagen.

I'll be having to stops - 1 in Miami and 1 in London, Heathrow.

I'm flying with American Airlines from St. Thomas and with British Airways: Miami-London and London-Copenhagen.

Do I need to pick up my luggage in Miami and London and check it in again or can it go all the way?

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick up luggage?

I've never flown that exact route, but I am almost sure you'll have to pick up luggage and re-check it at the two places. Please contact the airlines directly for a confirmation.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,345 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick up luggage?

AA and BA Code Share so you will be able to check your bags thru to your final destination. You may have to claim and recheck in Heathrow.

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick up luggage?

That sounds good! But what makes you think that I might have to clam and re-check in Heathrow? When I had a connecting flight there from CPH to MIA, I didn't need to claim and re-check. B

Edited: 31 December 2013, 20:25
m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick up luggage?

If flight is with same airline on one ticket then you may not have to collect in London (unless you're stopping more than so many hours). I'd still want to check with airline, though.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,345 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick up luggage?

Silly me, I forgot the EU rules and was applying US Immigration and Customs rules. The US no longer offers an in-transit area, where as Heathrow still does. I suspect CPH will be considered your first Port of Entry, but as rk2005 says, check with your airline to be sure.

6. Re: Pick up luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:18