We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Miami-Can I drive to farthest Key and work back?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in Miami-Can I drive to farthest Key and work back?

I'm flying to Miami apr.27. I'm wondering if I should rent a car at the airport and drive to the farthest Key and work my way back to South Beach within 4 days of visiting all of the Keys. My plan would then be to hang out in Miami area for last 3 days of vacation. Does this sound like a practical idea ?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Miami-Can I drive to farthest Key and work back?

Of course you can but that isn't going to give you time to spend in any of the Keys. Most visitors like to spend at least one overnight in Key West.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Miami-Can I drive to farthest Key and work back?

Most folks work their way down to Key West, but it's your call. As AhHah days one night in Key West is often recommended.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,909 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Miami-Can I drive to farthest Key and work back?

Depending on what time your flight arrives in Miami would depend (for me) whether or not you start the drive down to Key West. When we fly in from the UK, we land late afternoon, spend the night at an airport hotel, collect our car the next day after a good sleep, then do the drive. It takes around 4 hrs from Miami to Key West, with a stop for lunch! IMHO it is not a good idea to do the drive in the dark or if you are tired after a flight. Having said all that, you really won't have a lot of time to get a feel of the Keys in 4 days as you will be dashing down and dashing back.

4. Re: Arriving in Miami-Can I drive to farthest Key and work back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:18