We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami stay before cruise

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Karratha, Western...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Miami stay before cruise

Hi we are travelling from Australia family of 4 I am thinking of doing this. Any help would be much appreciated as we haven't been to this part of the world and am only getting ideas from posts I read on here. Our dates are 30 December till 3 jan.

Fly into Miami and stay for 3 nights in south beach. Is this close to fireworks for New Years. Is there a hotel you suggest to close to them so we don't have to worry about trying to get around a foreign place?

Do we need a car in south beach and if so are we able to hire a car and drop back up to Fort Lauderdale before our cruise or would it be best to just take it back in Miami and get train up to Fort Lauderdale. Is the train easy for a first timer?

Is south beach good for kids, lots to look at?

After our stay in Miami we are heading up to Fort Lauderdale and staying the night before the cruise.

I hope I have provided enough info and not all over the place. I am merely trying to get some ideas as I am stuck

Thanks heaps

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,349 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami stay before cruise

You don't mention a budget for your stay. Please keep in mind the week between Christmas and New Year's is very busy, and busy means expensive. Look at Loews hotel on South Beach. You can get around South Beach without a car and provided you can manage your bags the train may be an option, just know it is not very efficient time wise.

Karratha, Western...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami stay before cruise

Budget not a big deal I guess. Or am I better off just staying in Fort Lauderdale and hiring a car and driving down to look around. Is it easy to find parking near shops and attractions?

Karratha, Western...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami stay before cruise

Maybe 250 to 300 max a night not sure yet just would like best option as I really have no idea just I want to see Miami and take the kids to see things and maybe watch fireworks?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,349 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami stay before cruise

Paid parking is easy to find, though not cheap in some cases. How old are the kids ? Will they be facing adjusting to a time change? Do they travel well ?

Karratha, Western...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami stay before cruise

My kids are 9 and 11 and yes we travel often. Came to America in 2012 that's why we are coming back we loved it! We are doing New York before Miami so will already be over our long flight. Maybe we could fly into Fort Lauderdale hire a car at the airport and drive down then drive back to Fort Lauderdale and drop car back at airport is that maybe a good idea. Then get shuttle or taxi to our hotel before the cruise. What do you think? It is so hard knowing what to that is best to make our holiday a great experience so there is no stress lol.

Thanks for your replies I appreciate help

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,349 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami stay before cruise

Take a step back and look at which airport works best for you. Which offers the best airfare ? Which fits your time line ? Which favors your budget ? There are so many factors to consider it can be a bit overwhelming. I'd suggest breaking it down into stages.

7. Re: Miami stay before cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:21