We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip - Week of March 31

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip - Week of March 31

Couple (30s) with a 10 month old. From Texas. Never been to South Florida. Planning a 4-5 day trip.

Not into parties, museums, or fishing.

Prefer walking/hiking, nature/parks, some beaches, people watching, new types of food, a little shopping.

Will have a rental car.

Looking for advice, itineraries. Have read other posts and this is what I've come up with so far:

1) For cheaper hotels, stay in Ft Lauderdale, Hollywood. Not South Miami.

2) Want to do a boat ride/water taxi but not sure where is best. Have motion sickness so need a big boat.

3) Interested in drive to Keys. Not all the way to Key West though.

a) Snorkeling - Key Largo best?

b) State park in Bahia Honda

c) Anything else really nice like botanical garden, deer

4) Short trip to Everglades National Park. Not the whole park, maybe just come parts to see Crocs. Not sure what else to see there.

5) Want to try Cuban food. Heard Little Havana is nice for dinner.

6) Lincoln Road Mall

7) Hollywood Boardwalk

8) Read about Coconut Grove...what's to see there?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip - Week of March 31

Based on hotel rates, I fear it may not be the best time to go. Is late March still spring break? I see there's some big concert that week as well. I could push to first week of April.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip - Week of March 31

March is still very much part of the 'season' down here, so its busy and busy means expensive. Late April, early May should see a drop in hotel rates.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip - Week of March 31

Thanks. We just wanna get away for a bit and go someplace new. I definitely don't want to wait until May since south Florida will be in high 90s temps by then. I might try my luck through Priceline.

Any comments/feedback on my agenda/plans.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip - Week of March 31

How many days is this trip ? Who makes up your party ?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip - Week of March 31

It's all in my original post. 2 adults, one infant for 4-5 days

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip - Week of March 31

Silly me, I always forget to reread the OP's post. My bad...

The watertaxi is very tame for the most part. It doesnt go out into open ocean, and at most may hit the wake of a passing boat. Not sure if this helps with the motion sickness or not.

I prefer Hollywood Braodwalk with the little one, its paved and has plenty of spots to stop and check out the sights, shade etc.

Pack a picnic lunch and drive down to Anne's Beach just south of Islamorada. There are tables on a board walk at the waters edge. First come,first served so try and get there early.

Bahia Honda park is nice but can get busy. Bay side is best for shade and picnic spots.

Butterfly World in Coconut Creek is very nice. There's also Flamingo Gardens and Fairchild Tropical Gardens, Vizcaya might prove interesting.

We've taken the four and a half hour snorkel tour from John Pennekamp Park in the Keys.

Enjoy

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip - Week of March 31

I asked someone that grew up in Miami which water taxi to take and she said water taxis are everywhere. I was thinking there is only one company with a predefined route and schedule. Which water taxi do I take?

Thank you for your recommendations about Hollywood Beach Boardwalk and Anne's Beach.

After looking at driving times, we will likely only go as far south as Islamorada. Bahia Honda seems too far just for a park. I didn't see anything special about the park.

I thought there was some good snorkeling right off the coast in the keys but it looks like you have to get a tour and go on a boat. It probably means we won't go because wife is not into snorkeling.

I plan to go to Everglades Park through the Homestead entrance. There is a couple of hiking trails close to the entrance so I can see this being a half day trip. We will ask the visitor center for best hike to see animals.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 19:27
8. Re: Planning trip - Week of March 31

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 06:16