We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No toll road from Mia to Orlando

california
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
No toll road from Mia to Orlando

Hello,

We are hiring the car from FLL airport ( with Avis) to drive to Kissimmee/ Orlando area

Is it possible to travel from Miami to Kissimmee / Orlando area without getting into cashless toll road fee. if so, can you please share which road I should take to avoid it.

Also, we will return the car at MIA airport before flying home. If you have good / bad experience with Avis, please share as well . Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

Yes, you can even use the turnpike from there and just stay right and pay tolls in cash.

On the return, you;'d have to get off the turnpike early.

Plot your route using Google maps (i find the old maps easier) use directions and choose avoid tolls

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,626 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

The cashless tolls are on the south part of the turnpike on the way to the keys. Not sure if there are any on the 836 on the way to the turnpike but you can avoid that road if needed.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

As stated above you can pay cash for the tolls north of the Broward/Dade County line. Avoid the Turnpike South of I595 if you dont want to pay the cashless toll charges. SR836 East is now cashless.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,824 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

Use Google MAPS

click on "Get Directions"

click on " Show Options"

click on " Avoid Tolls"

from FLL take I -95 to Melbourne

then 192 to Kissimmee.

Where abouts are you staying in Kissimmee ?

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,668 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

441, but it will take a LONG time. Also 95 to 192. Also, much longer.

california
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

Thank everyone for your inputs .

I just saw Google map and wonder why some section show #95 while other section show #9 ? is this road have two name? We will get our rental car at FLL and hopefully arrive to Star island resort ( Kissimmee) before mid night . Does this road safe to drive at night time?

For the return trip back to MIA , I want to start at Tampa. I would like to know which route will be better (75 or 41) . Is route 41 safe to drive? and where should I stop for lunch. Any good scenery to stop for photo?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

I95(Interstate 95) is known by one(1) name. You can complete your trip part of the way with I95 but the best route would be with the Turnpike. Parts of I95 and the Turnpike are not very well lit at night, however both are safe to drive.

Most folks will take I75 from Tampa to Miami, taking US41 will add just a little bit of time to your trip. What time of day are you going ? What type of photography interest you ? There are plenty of places on 41 to stop and snap some pictures. Clyde Butchers Gallery, The Oasis Visitors Center just to name a few.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

Honestly, the money you spend on the Turnpike is well worth it......It will save you lots of time. You can take alternate routes, but then it takes longer and use more gas. Just my two cents...I would suggest paying the tolls for the Turnpike.

california
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing your view with me.

I plan to buy a Mini Sunpass to use with our rental car on this trip . However, I do not know for sure whether it will work 100% after installing it on the winshield . I prefer to pay all toll fee with cash instead of using cashless toll fee. We are tourist and do not know Florida's roads well. So, I am asking for the route without toll fee as a back up plan . I don't want to end up paying a huge admin fee besides toll fee cost to rental car company later.

By the way, does anyone know where we can do a test to make sure the Mini sunpass to works . I try to avoid a situation we have the sunpass, but end up paying more money to rental car company afterward .

Hi Objets,

DH like to take photo with beautiful scenery. This is our first trip to that part of Florida . We are open for any suggestion . We would leave Tampa around 9 am or 10am.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,668 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No toll road from Mia to Orlando

If you follow the instructions, the mini WILL work. It uses the windshield as an antennae.

I have one. I followed the instructions. It has worked for a couple of years now without a problem.

There is also another one they sell with suction cups. If that makes you feel better, get it.