We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Topic
Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

Hi, I'd like to come down the last week of June for 7 days with my 19 year old son and 16 year old daughter. Not sure if I should stay in Miami Beach vs. Miami, and would like to avoid car rental if possible. Is Miami Beach more for young adults, vs. teens, and which area would be better for sightseeing? Is it realistic to not have a car? I'm going to need activities and/or day trips just about every day to keep the kids from being bored. Would you please suggest some things that would appeal to teens?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

If you need to do day trips you will need a car. A drive down to Key West should interest everybody. If fact spend a night or two at one of the middle Keys and do day trips out. You didn't say what interests your teens have, but google these: Robbie's Marina, Coral Castle, Shark Valley, Clyde Butcher Art Gallery, Robert Is Here.

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

Thank you! I will consider a car. I could probably get one for a few days once we're there, as opposed to for the whole week. Shark Valley looks perfect. The teens would be interested in nature and action oriented activities more than museums, so everglades and water based stuff is great. How far is Key West from Miami?

Citrus Springs...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

Key West is probably 3 to 3 1/2 hours from Miami.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,751 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

Remember go early/leave early in June. It will be hot and there will be a strong chance of storms in the afternoon.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

I think you'll be happiest in south beach. There is an adult aspect to it with bars and clubs, but it is very walkable, and close to the ocean. You won't need a car there, but will need one if you plan to drive out to the Everglades, the Keys or other mainland attractions. If you can give us an idea of what sort of things the teens like perhaps we can be more helpful. While in south beach, there is the beach, many parks, shops, restaurants, cruise ships to watch from south pointe park in the late afternoon, sunset views, art deco buildings. A boat cruise of Biscayne Bay from Bayside Marketplace is always fun.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

I live in Miami with two teenagers (same ages as yours) and South Beach wouldn't be their first choice. Hotels are expensive and tend to be boutique, not the best with small rooms. Other than Lincoln Road - a pedestrian walkway with lots of restaurants and eclectic boutiques, not much they would recommend. Many parts of South Beach are adult oriented. Not much to do except eat and go to the beach if you aren't of drinking age.

I definitely recommend renting a car as it's very difficult to move around this city without one.

Shark Valley should be on the top of your list. You'll need a car.

Jungle Island might be of interest to them to. It's located on Watson Island halfway between downtown Miami and Miami Beach.

Check out John Pennekamp state park on Key Largo. http://pennekamppark.com/

They offer glass bottom boat tours and snorkeling trips. It's not as far as Key West so you can go there and back in a day. Would be about an hour 1/2 drive each way from South Beach. A little less from downtown.

I would suggest you consider staying on Brickell by downtown Miami so you can also access Bayside and all the activities that are offered there and be more centrally located.

Unfortunately, basketball season is coming to an end with playoff tickets rare but a Marlin's game might be fun. The team sucks but the new stadium is awesome. Season already started.

Check out Zoo Miami too. You'll need a car to get there. If they like shopping, you can combine a visit to the Zoo with a shopping excursion to The Falls, a really cool, tropical and outdoor shopping center.

Plan to travel before/after rush hour traffic. It's HORRIBLE during the week.

If you need more ideas, just message me.

7. Re: Things to do and where to stay for single mom and two teens.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:16