We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

I'm due to fly out next Thursday (19th) and am my excitement is slowly turning into anxiety for the weather reports i am currently seeing. I knew it was wet season but not THAT wet! Although Yahoo! weather on the iPhone can be a little misleading, am i likely to see ANY sun in the day or will it be grey and stormy until what seems the end of time?

I can't control it, it is what it is, but can't help feeling disappointed when this has been planned since January and is my first trip to the US.

Thanks in advance.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

Usually the rainstorms will keep moving and any area in its path will have about 1 to 2 hours of rain. That's the typical Summertime pattern.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

We arent having typical summer patterns so far this week. Its been raining on/off most of the day. There have been some bits of sunshine here and there. Learn to dance in the rain...

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

You will be in Miami in hurricane season! Maybe not the best time of year to visit?

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

Too early to tell for next week. Normally you'd expect morning rain and afternoon thunderstorms, but not every day. Any given day can be rain free, or rain much of the day. It is sure to be hot and humid, however.

On average you should be OK. We'll be pulling for you.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,359 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

today started off stormy, however things have improved nicely.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

Oops, noticed typo in my message above. Meant to say:

"...Normally you'd expect morning SUN and afternoon thunderstorms, but not every day..."

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

Hurricane season has no bearing on the day to day weather. All hurricane season means is the conditions are more favorable for hurricanes to form in the Atlantic/Caribbean/Gulf waters. It has now been 8 years since a hurricane has affected Florida. The other good bit is we know of a possibility of a hurricane a week+ ahead of time.

Typical Summer season as mentioned is sunny and clear morning and early afternoon to a passing thunderstorm in the afternoon.

The chances of a complete vacation rainout is very rare.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,856 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

Yes, the rainy season really does bring thunderstorms almost every day. The stock-standard weather forecast from June through October is highs in the 90s (about 30), lows in the 70s (low 20s) and a 30% chance of rain.

Understand that this means that of ten locations, three of them will have rain on a given day. If someone told me I had only a 30% chance of NOT winning the lottery, I'd buy a ticket!

Most days it's hot and humid until mid-late afternoon -- it clouds up, we have a crashing thunderstorm for an hour or so, and then it clears up for the evening. Happily, this takes place just about the time you're ready to head inside for a shower, a nap, a beverage, or some combination thereof.

Florida has a subtropical climate..so raining almost every day in the summertime is completely normal and just a part of life.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

The rain can be very heavy for a time but will then clear up and be very sunny, hot and humid. Take some suitable clothing. A light rain jacket can be useful and an umbrella. Wear shores that are OK in the wet (crocs and flip flops can be good). Not your best leather sandals that could be ruined. We were in FortLauderdale in July a couple of years ago and got some heavy storms which flooded the roads. Many enjoyed standing in the rain in swimming costumes at beachside bars!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,856 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miami Weather - Thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms!

flip-flops in the rain are a fabulous idea if you are keen on slipping and landing flat on your rear.

They are horrendously slippery, as not only do the soles have no traction, but your foot slips on top of the flipflop.