We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

Hello,

I'm going to be travelling from Chicago (O'Hare) to Lima via Miami in September. I'm flying with American Airlines. My connecting flight from Miami to Lima has changed and I now have 1 hour between the flights. Is this enough time for me and my luggage to make it on to the connecting flight (assuming that my flight from Chicago is on time)? I'll be travelling on a non-US passport, but Miami won't be my first point of entry to the US. As I understand it this means that I won't need to go through Customs or re-check my bag-in at Miami. Is this right?

I've found a lot of threads online about Miami airport being dreadful in terms of clearing Customs. Most posts seem to be about people arriving on international flights and then connecting to domestic or international flights. I haven't found any threads about people connecting from a domestic flight to international.

I do have the option of taking an earlier flight from Chicago, but the change would be rather pricey.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Little Havana Food and Walking Tour
176 reviews
from US$58.99*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Miami Speedboat Tour
49 reviews
from US$38.00*
Miami Everglades Airboat Adventure...
272 reviews
from US$78.00*
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

Provided your inbound flight is on time you should be fine. There is no Customs screening involved. They will announce your arriving and departing gates prior to landing. be sure to use the Skytrain to save some time.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

If you're coming in on AA and leaving on AA you should be leaving from the same terminal, right objets?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

maybe, while most all of the fights depart from D Concourse, there are also some flights operated from E Concourse. Try and get a seat on the Chicago--Miami flight near the front left side of the aircraft. Make sure your bags are checked through to Lima and you're given a boarding pass with a seat assignment for the Miami--Lima leg prior to leaving Chicago. Use the restroom prior to landing and deplane with a purpose. Use the Skytrain to help save some time.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

You should be fine, you wont go through customs, usually the staff will have gate information for connecting travellers on landing as you taxi in, so listen up for the info. If you are flying from another concourse you will have to exit and travel to the next one and re-enter through security though and that will take time. Usually it will be in the same area for AA though.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

Having flown internationally for a couple of decades now for both personal and business, having just an hour to connect would scare the bejeebers out of me, and I'd do my best to change it.

I don't *ever* schedule an international connection at any airport in the US or Europe with less than 2 hours -- 3 is better.

If your arriving flight is late (pretty common in Miami with the summer thunderstorms) you are out of luck.

It's nothing at all to do with Customs, and everything to do with the fact that they'll have begun boarding your Lima flight before you even step off your arriving flight...and that's if you land on time!

Edited: 06 July 2014, 15:33
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

I agree... but it's not an international arrival ? Unless I have it wrong?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

Its not an international arrival. While it will be tight, there are some connections that are only 35mins. Which flight to LIM are you booked on ?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

it doesn't have to be an international arrival, and in fact may be worse as a domestic arrival, as your chances of arriving a domestic gate that's far, far away from your international departure gate is much greater.

International flights start boarding an hour or more before flight time -- and regardless of from where you might be arriving.

So yes -- they'll have likely started the boarding process for the Lima flight before you ever step off the plane.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 19:47
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

American does not separate Domestic and International gates in Miami. All Gates can be used as Domestic or International. Boarding normally begins no more than 40mins prior to departure. There are two flights a day from Miami to Lima, hopefully the OP is booked on the first one and will have a back up, should they miss-connect.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic to international connecting times at Miami airport

last time I flew international with AA through Miami, the boarding time on my ticket was an hour before departure.

And with Murphy's Law being what it is -- you only ever get the furthest possible gate when you're on a tight connection.

Weather is absolutely, positively a factor when flying in and out of Florida in the summertime, and anything airborne in the mid- to late afternoon is very likely to be delayed.