We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

four middle aged women in Miami

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville,Ontario Can
Level Contributor
134 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
four middle aged women in Miami

Spending a day in Miami and then in West Palm Beach, Ft.Lauderdale, etc. After reading the posts on the forums it is hard to get excited about being there. Sounds like South Beach is dirty and disappointing for the most part and we were so looking forward to the day there. Any advise for four women who would like some funky but quality shopping great architecture, good food, etc?

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: four middle aged women in Miami

South Beach isn't dirty or disappointing at all, don't get a bad impression just from a few posts on this forum. There are tons of things to see, do, and enjoy. You can try Lincoln Road, which has a lot of shops, restaurants, and is great for people watching. There is also shopping located on Collin's Avenue from 5th - 12th Street.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,695 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: four middle aged women in Miami

santa>

The architecture tours start at 10th and Ocean - visit www.mdpl.org or contact alexeb@the-beach.net to arrange a private walking tour.

Not sure where in Miami you are staying to suggest a nearby restaurant so please refer to this guide I posted >

EATS - http://tinyurl.com/3jxpuc

And shopping from GLAM to DISCOUNT guides >

SHOPS - http://tinyurl.com/27xdoy

Enjoy!

AG

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: four middle aged women in Miami

I would be surprised if you were dissapointed with South beach, I am 40 and live in London and have an array of shops at my fingertips but always come back from South beach with a load of new clothes, there are some nice boutiques where you are sure to find stuff that is differet to what you would get at home.In my opinion it it is not dirty nor is it sterile thats what gives south beach such a nice feel. I have been to oakville (my in laws live there!) South beach is not as polished but it is not dirty..

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: four middle aged women in Miami

Hi, I spent a long weekend in S. Beach with 6 girlfriends 2 yrs ago. I can't imagine it has changed that much. We had a riot - good food, great people watching, nice beach (don't rent the chairs - too expensive), good walking. You will enjoy it.

Also, spent a month in WPB last year. City Place and Clematis St had good shopping and good restaurants although I hear the Macy's has closed. We went to Bradleys a few times and liked it but were influenced by our 20+ yo son. WPB is not on the ocean. It is on the intercoastal. For the beaches, I went to Palm Beach, Juno,Jupiter or Lake Worth. Palm Beach has no services and parking is limited. I got dropped off every day. Juno and Jupiter are farther north but they have restrooms, fee parking and are good too. Lake Worth has a nice beach and some really good restaurants on the street (I would have to look it up) that ends at the ocean -Irish pub, French, German, etc. Part of Lake Worth is iffy. There is a lot of shopping too if that is what you are into.

Oakville,Ontario Can
Level Contributor
134 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: four middle aged women in Miami

thank you so much to all who responded to my plea for help. I will let ya'll know our collective impressions of SoBe and it will be interesting to see if the negative comments on tripadviser should have been an influence or not. We will be there Saturday. Saturday night I think my suitcase will see a great many additions if the shopping is what I think it will be.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: four middle aged women in Miami

I am 44 and my husband is 48 and we LOVE South Beach. It's our "go to" spot whenever we can manage a few days away. The food is wonderful, the beach is amazing and there is so much to do and see. Lincoln Road is a great place to shop, grab a bite to eat, have a few drinks, etc. There is something for everyone in South Beach. While we love SB as a couples retreat, we actually took our kids last year and they had a great time.

South Beach is a city, so yes there are going to be areas that are not exactly clean. So what? Would you avoid NYC just because it has dirty areas? No!

Go, have fun and report back!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: four middle aged women in Miami

santa,

when you see some truly negative post about a place, hotel, restaurant, click on the poster's name to see his/her previous posts. Some people seem to like spreading negativity about anything. If someone finds no place/hotel/restaurant/service that he/she visited pleasant that says IMO more about the poster than places reviewed.

I am a year-round MB resident since over 20 years, love Lincoln Road for people watching, the Bal Harbour Shops for window shopping.

If you are into fashion, architecture and good food you will find plenty to love here. Check out the info posted by Advisorgirl - lots of good stuff there.

Enjoy your vacation.

Mimi

8. Re: four middle aged women in Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 01:15