We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

St. Louis, Mo.
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

is there a bus or do I need to rent a car to take my teen boys to sobe for the day. we are staying in ft. lauderdale, but want to visit sobe. any thoughts?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

I found this shuttle but times aren't great.

miamibeach411.com/transportation/lauderdale-…

I would suggest renting a car and making the drive..

It is gorgeous! There are lots of things to see along the way. You will probably like to stop and see things. You can't do that on a bus.

It is about a 3 and a half hour drive down without really stopping. You may want to consider staying one night at least.

Babylon, New York
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

Definitely rent a car. Make sure to drive A1A all the way south. It can be a little confusing around Las Olas and around the airport (you'll be on US-1 for part of the time) but the drive is beautiful and there's so much to see!

Stop by Hollywood Beach and check out the board walk - it's beautiful and has great places for breakfast. Also one of the best beaches in S. FL.

On your way home be sure to stop at Athens juice bar, around 71st and collins on Miami beach - - get pina-colada-papaya, made with real juice, not mic. Yum!

Miami, FL
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

Well, its certainly not a 3+ hour drive from Ft.L to Sobe. More like an hour at most, less by I-95.

Public transport will require at least one bus transfer in Hallandale or at Aventura and will be terribly slow. Suggest the rental car for speed & flexibility. To sightsee on the way down take the beach road, A-1-A,from Dania south right into the center of SoBe.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

My bad... lol.. I was thinking in my head Ft Lauderdale to Key West. Sooo sorry..

St. Louis, Mo.
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

thanks for all of the great info! where in sobe should we go to be in the middle of the action? I have 5 teenagers with me and I have promised them some excitement! Is is obvious when you get to south miami? thanks so much

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

The Water Taxi in Ft. Lauderdale has a boat tour to SoBe that leaves at 9:30 am from the Convention Center area on 17th St. Fare is $35 pp- downside is you are only on SoBe for about 4 hrs- 12:30- 4:30 approx- return to Ft. Lauderdale around 8 Pm I think.

If that would interest you:

www.watertaxi.com/FLLValueVoyages.Asp.htm

St. Louis, Mo.
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

that sounds exactly what we need!! thanks so much

Miami, FL
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

>> where in sobe should we go to be in the middle of the action? <<

Remember these names: Lincoln Road. Espanola Way. Ocean Drive. All are within walking distance of each other

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
457 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

I would suggest you rent a car and drive. The scenic route suggested is beautiful. Once there you can park in one of the public garages, or possibly on a meter...........I am unsure about how long you can park on a meter. I was in Ft Lauderdale and drove over in December for the day. I am doing the same next week.

10. Re: want to get to sobe from ft. lauderdale for day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 17:18