We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Betsy hotel- reopening?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Betsy hotel- reopening?

Hey

im thinking of coming to miami on my Honeymoon mid april then off to a caribean cruise.. some recommended betsy its opening in spring anyone knows when exactly? and why are the prices so high its a 350 per night!!! do u think i should wait?or maybe go to AStor hotel instead?

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

It is too unknown for such an important trip. The Sagamore, Raleigh, or National would be a more sure thing. Over the Astor, I would recommend the Angler.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

The Betsy is open and taking reservations right now. Its priced about the same as other comparable hotels, you pay more for the luxury and location. The Astor is a good affordable choice if you don't want to spend $300 - $350 /night.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

yea sobe i think so too...what are my options for smthg between loews and astor.. i dont mind paying 300 but in a well known guarnteed hotel.. astor, essex and beacon are on my list for the 3 star category.. but what about a higher rated hotel in southbeach around 300?

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

Dhalia>

Have you considered the Tides?

Right next to the Betsey (which does look great post-reno) and you can pop next door to the Betsey to try BLT Steak - a very cool brand new dining destination on Ocean Drive.

I think "upper" Ocean Drive is becoming kinda hot...

Happy Easter!!!

AG

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

All these fabulous reviews for the Betsy are from new

first time posters. Just saying. AG, have you seen it?

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

SBA>

The hotel just got renovated... so are you saying the reviews are new to the new renovations or that they are fake?

Hmmm - if you live here in the 305, stop by the Betsy and have a look around. You can ask at the desk for a tour of the rooms and facilities and you can eat at BLT and decide for yourself.

One thing I have noticed is that every time a new hotel opens, some people on the forum immediately denounce it in favor of the long standing properties. This happened with the Gansevoort and then again with the Mondrian. I mentioned the new Mondrian on the west side and got slammed because it was "SO FAR AWAY" from Ocean Drive - and frankly my thought was, "WTF? West Avenue is not exactly Kendall..."

In this economy, I know all of these giant new or newly renovated hotels like the Fontainebleau, the Eden Roc, the W and such will have their work cut out for them in gaining enough market share to be successful. It seems a lot of hotel corporations are GAMBLING on Miami passing legalized GAMBLING...

If you like a particular property, I think you should stand your ground for the hotels you like but try to be objective about the rest. It's counterproductive to bash a hotel unless you personally had a bad experience there...

ON THE OTHER HAND - I do agree with you about the brand new Betsy reviews - they are fake and I reported every one of them to TA.

: )

Keep up the good SLEUTH work! (And definitely USE the TA feature to report inappropriate posts).

AG

Washington DC
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

Wow Advisor Girl, the Betsy is amazing. You are making assumptions that are just not true. Its really scary because people tend to believe what you write.

However, I think you need to save the investigative work for the FBI and stick to giving visitors to Miami Beach information about things you know are factual.

You write that it's "counterproductive to bash a hotel unless you personally had a bad experience there" What I think is worse is for you to ASSUME that something is fake if you do not know it for yourself.

The Betsy reviews are not fake. I just visited the hotel and they are encouraging guests to post their experiences on Tripadvisor when they check out.

I saw it with my own eyes - without the help of the FBI.

You should check the hotel out yourself.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

Hang on there a minute DC -

Each of these brand new 5 star reviews of the Betsy posted within 2 days time by brand new members of TA is reviewed by the TA moderators. If it is not real, it will be removed. That's the policy of the site.

That said, I am glad you joined TA to say you enjoyed your visit because that's why we are all here.

I'm not sure you heard aout this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34439-i35-k261180…

As to your attacking me?

I have posted no negative opinion of the Betsy. I visited, I ate there, I liked it. What I wrote on this thread is that the sudden confluence of 5 star reviews SoBeAddict pointed out to me as "fishy" were fishy. He thought so and I thought so.

We all value genuine public opinion.

I can voice my opinion just as we welcome yours.

I am sincerely glad you had a good trip! Thanks for posting.

AG

Washington DC
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

Hey I am not attacking you.

I would just like you to be more careful with some of your assumptions.

I did not actually stay at The Betsy. And I did not join tripadvisor "to say I enjoyed my visit to the hotel"

I do not understand why you make these assumptions!

I dined in the restaurant and I went to the front desk to ask about rate information for the hotel. The gentleman at the front desk asked how my experience was at the restaurant and asked me to post the review on Tripadvisor.

He went on to say that they are asking all of their guests who check out to post reviews on the website. I thought that was rather novel and I think that this request is a testament to the power of this website.

And so I agree that all of our opinions are valued. But there are some opinions (yours) that are valued more than others. So please just be careful about assuming.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Betsy hotel- reopening?

DC>

Once again, I am happy you enjoyed your trip.

Thanks for posting.

AG