We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car In Sobe?

Baltimore,Maryland
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental Car In Sobe?

Hello To all,

I know......I know.....that this question has been asked a thousand times or more, but this is our first time to SOBE and we are renting a condo for 5 days and 4 nights and wanted to put food and drinks in condo.

We are on a budget and wanted to cook in condo. We are coming in at FLL because it"s cheaper then arriving in MIA, so we need a car to get to condo on Collins ave. from Fll. We also need to purchase grocery's and liquor to put in condo.

I read that you don"t need a car in SOBE, but how would we make these thgs happen without it.

ohh.....if someone can see how we can make this happen without a car that would be great because the hotel that we are staying at is asking for $40 a day to park daily.which is $160 for the lenght of time that we are staying and rental is about $300.00 so it would say us a ball of money. Please help!!!!

Thanks,.

Copper

Miami Sailing - Private Day Charters
Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Private Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Epicure
Other Food & Drink
Cooking Classes Of Miami - Private Classes
Lessons & Workshops, Cooking Classes, Other Food & Drink
Espanola Cigar Lounge
Cigar Bars, Wine Bars
Baltimore,Maryland
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

I also forgot to say that we are coming for the American Black Film Festival/ABFF in June 23-27,2010. This is our first time my husband and myself.

We are in our mid to late 30"s, like to have fun, bit nothing to wild and crazy. Any suggestions on thgs to do, and places to go as couples. I would love to do a couples message ,but we are staying at The Setai and it"s way to expensive there. Has anyone ever been to ABFF that can give any suggestions on how are those days, and or festival is like, when the festival is in town. Did they enjoy the festival,etc.?

Thanks,

Copper

Mentioned in this post
The Setai
The Setai
1,173 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Baltimore,Maryland
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

Sorry for the spelling guys! I'm typing too fast!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

There are two Publix supermarkets not too far from your hotel......of the two, I prefer the location on Bay Road.

store.publix.com/publix/cgi/selection…

store.publix.com/publix/cgi/selection…

The South Beach Local bus makes a very nice loop around the area for $.25 each way and stops right in front of the Publix on Bay Rd. For reference, The Setai is at 20th and Collins. A very nice place to stay!

www.miamibeach411.com/trans_electrowave.html

You really do not need a car on the beach. I would also suggest you look at posts from Advisor Girl as she has a fantastic guide to the area.

Cheers,

M

Mentioned in this post
The Setai
The Setai
1,173 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

BTW, many liquor stores deliver (and there is no shortage of them close to your hotel/condo)......I use MB delivery all the time......

M B Liquors

814 Alton Rd

Miami Beach, FL 33139

Tel: (305) 532-8300

Cheers,

M

Mentioned in this post
BTW
BTW
24 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

And a cab to SoBe from FLL will be about $90.....

You may also consider a shuttle or a limo/towncar service.

http://www.fortlauderdale-airportshuttle.com/

M

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

And finally (thoughts are scattered today), cabs are plentiful and inexpensive...they are always lined up outside of the supermarkets.

M

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

MDJ is correct. Unless you are really planning on traveling a great amount and for long distances, a car isnt a great idea in South Beach. (Just remember your fee is $40 a day to park, but when you leave there, you must find somewhere else to park and there is no place that lets you do that for free in SoBe, so add that to the budget, too.)

Spend some time on the beach, indulge in happy hours. Take a walk along Lincoln Road. I assume you will be busy anyways with teh Festival.

Cabs, are plentiful down on SoBe and you will find a lot of people just "footing" it too. Unfortunately, there really isnt a "cheap' way to stay on SoBe. I have friends that have been to the ABFF and said it was great. Hwoever, that was a couple of years ago, sorry cant help more.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,085 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Lincoln Road
Lincoln Road
15,170 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
HOUSTON,TX
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

I wouldn't even worry about a car rental. Utilize public transportation, cabs etc... You will save a alot of money this way. You can fine liquor stores anywhere in sobe. Just go out take a walk and you will run into some. Also reasearch all the stores near your hotel, and I'm sure you will find more than plenty within walking distance. You can also save money by putting bottles in your check bag, problem solved lol. While you're are in sobe check out Wet Willies, Club B.E.D and Clevlander.

9. Re: Rental Car In Sobe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 08:30