We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

We are looking for a top notch luxury hotel with a good pool that is close to a nice stretch of beach- and we want some action eg fun- but we want it to be classy and luxurious ! any ideas ? will be coming second week of May

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

We just got back from the Loew's and it fits your criteria. Please be advised that "great pools" generally attract families and small children. The Loew's pool is very nice but it really isn't relaxing because of all of the kids. It really cheapened our vacation as well. We paid Hawaii prices to stay at a Miami resort overrun with kids. Had I known that many people take their kids out of school to go on vacation in February, we would have booked the return trip to Kauai.

Take a look at the Ritz and the Delano. The astronomical rates at those hotels will likely discourage the family/corporate crowd. But honestly, why pay those prices when you could actually go somewhere posh and romantic instead (Paris/Hawaii, etc)?

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

well we live in michigan and we are going for 3 days so we need somewhere close 3 -4 hr plane ride max- and we do like some "action"- we usually hit vegas for our weekend trip without the kids ( we have 4 ! ) but I thought we could try something different- So I assume you are saying Loews is a great hotel BUT too many kids ? That was my impression as well when I researched

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

The Ritz Carlton is also very nice and on the beach but does cater to families. if u really want to splash out, check out The Setai. On the beach, great pools, u won't find many, if any kids, and the pool bar is great.

http://www.setai.com/

Casa Casauarina is also top end....the Versace Mansion now being managed by Barton G and called The Villa by Barton G. Not sure if they will be re-opened by May tho.....you won't find kids at Casa Casaurina. It is amazingly beautiful (the pool is breathtaking) and located on Ocean Drive across from Lummus Park and the beach.

http://www.casacasuarina.com/index.html

Another option to check out would the The Tides.....again, on Ocean Drive.

http://tidessouthbeach.com/?cmpid=tsb_gl

Enjoy your trip!

M

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

Ritz is likely the best as its a mix of fun and luxury, while being on the beach and having a great location.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

The Tides would be relaxing and swanky with no attitude. Just well taken

care where all rooms have ocean views. The pool is quiet but very

attractive.

sim
Sunny Isles Beach,FL
Level Contributor
521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

I would recommend Acqualina, it is not in SOBE but unless you are into the club scene you will not mind. Acqualina has three beach front pools, one is called tranquility, no kids allowed. It is also on the list of top 100 resorts in the world in the Robb Report and the only five diamond beach front resort in the Miami area. Unlike all the other hotels, beach lounges and cabanas are complementary. There are also two beach front restaurants ,you will not find this in SOBE which offers small pools and an urban vibe. Sobe is only 11 miles away if you want to visit and to say you were there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

We were in the same position as you with time constraints and a desperate need to get out of the snow. I understand your motivations, but I honestly cannot recommend Miami Beach at Ritz/Loews prices. Go Caribbean if you really must get out of michigan for 3 days.

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

Setai all the way!!!! If you have the money!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

If you want something that has the SoBe feel to it, check out Delano, Sagamore, Tides, or maybe Setai. The Ritz might also be on the list. Loews is a very nice hotel but no different than a very nice hotel in any other city and too convention-like for me. FWIW, it's my wife's second favorite hotel next to Ritz. All of these hotels are withing a few blocks of each other so about equal location (Setai is a little bit of a walk - but not that far).

All mentioned are directly on the beach, except Tides, which is across the street so very close (measured in feet).

MHO,

SBF

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ok first trip to SOBE need advice for wife and I....

you might like the Victor. in my opinion, it is underrated. i loved it there. they have a beautiful pool and wonderful staff. it is right on ocean drive. check out their website.

you may also like the z ocean hotel. delano. betsy. gansevoort. w.

i understand your desire to go to miami for a short stay. i do it all the time. the carribean involves to much travel once you fly in usually. when u land in miami you can be at the hotels within a half hour, checked in and on the beach in less than two. perfect.