We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
152 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

My wife and I are driving to SoBe from Orlando as a detour (without the kids) from our family vacation in mid-September. We're hoping to arrive by noon Friday, stay the night and leave after dinner Saturday.

We've never been, so we need help with what to do in a short time. We'll spend some time on the sand, and some wandering the streets, but is there anything we must see/do?

Any help with cool nightlife would be appreciated as we only have one night.

Also, considering staying at Dream or Breakwater.

Thanks

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

Hanging out in South Beach is a must. The top things to see include Lincoln Road mall, Ocean Dr and the art deco hotels, Espanola Way and the beautiful beach.

Nightlife on a Friday night in September can be rainy. I would say a drink in one of our rooftop bars at either Plunge, Townhouse or Clevelander is a must if it is not raining.

Jess

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

I'd go with Lincoln Road Mall, and wandering around looking at the art deco buildings. Try Cuban food (reasonable) at Davids 2 just off Lincoln, or Puerto Sagua at 7th and Collins.

Garage your car and use the 25 cent shuttle buses. "TowawayZone" means exactly what it says, and if you park in one store's free lot and then go next door or across the street for even a minute, you'll also get towed - those crooks use spotters

Don't wander the streets alone after midnight unless you're in a group or thereare a lot of people out. Stay off the beaches after dark, and never ever leave valuables unwatched on the beach (or anywhere else)

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
152 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

Thanks.

We'll park in the hotel lot and walk the whole time. Breakwater is on Ocean at 10th; how far (north, south, and west) is worth wandering from there? We don't want to waste time in areas with little to see but don't want to miss anything interesting close by.

Also, any more great lounges/bars/restos?

Thanks

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,587 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

KL>

10th & Ocean is the center of the party scene. Don't miss drinks by the pool at the www.clevelander.com Clevelander hotel, check out the goofy Latin dance review just to the south at Mango's.

Friday night you could do seaside drinks/tapas at sunset at the DiLido Beach Club and then a salsa class and dance party on Lincoln Mall www.salsamia.com

Saturday morning join an Art Deco Tour right by your hotel at the 10 street Visitor's Center www.mdpl.org then brunch at Front Porch or BLT Steak and a little swim in the sea...

Reserve a great dinner www.opentable.com Saturday at one of the nearby restaurants like the Tudor House at the Dream hotel (which is participating in the Miami Spice discount dining program Aug & September) and see their rooftop lounge too! www.ilovemiamispice.com

AG

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

AdvisorGirl is spot on about 10th and Ocean. But do not miss Lincol Road! Be sure to check out the new concert hall, just off Lincoln Road. Also check out some of the many little art galleries inside the South Florida Art Center buildings at 800 and in the 900 block of Lincoln.

It's always a good idea to check the prices on the menus posted outside or in the windows of restaurants before going in. If you see one with no prices listed, i strongly suggest you pass it by.

If tyou're really hungry, Davids II has a great Cuban lunch buffet for around $8. Also the Italian buffet at Masters on nearby Alton is good, too.

The only reason I'd venture south of 5th street would be to eat at Big Pink, which I think is 2nd and Collins (or maybe Washington) and has reasonably priced American food. I try to close my eyes to the godawful highrises at the south end of Miami Beach that have desecrated our barrier island. Nor can I think of any particular reason to wander north of 17th. West of Washington are endless blocks of art deco low rise apartment buildings - a brief walk around there is worthwhile. As for Joe's Stone Crab, it's good but overpriced and I refuse to either wait endlessly or bribe their greedy maitre d's. For stone crabs, I think Monty's at Alton around 3d is still in business.

The diner at 11th and Washington was a real old fashioned American diner hauiled down from Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. It's a fun place.

We also enjoy browsing at the Anthropologie store on Lincoiln just east of Alton.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
152 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

Thanks.

What's the line-up/guest list situation with the lounges/bars/clubs?

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,587 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

KL>

Try this:

miamibeach-usa.com/getting-into-miami-night-…

AG

8. Re: 1st timers, Just 1 night, 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 20:18