We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying in Siuth Beach

Washington DC
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying in Siuth Beach

Is there an easy way to get from Ft Lauderdale airport to south beach? I am taking my 14 yr old daughter and her friend to south beach in early April and it looks like it will be cheaper to fly to Fort Lauderdale than to MIA. Is it easy/relatively inexpensive to get from FFL to a hotel in South Beach? Not worth the hassle?

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying in Siuth Beach

s>

Hop into a GO shuttle right outside Baggage claim

www.go-airportshuttle.com/

AG

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying in Siuth Beach

Try hotwire or priceline for a car for one day. Pick up at FLL and drop of in South Beach and have the use for 24 hrs. Have done this many times also in reverse . Sometimes taxes included for under $ 30.00

Washington DC
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying in Siuth Beach

thanks for the tip

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying in Siuth Beach

The GO Shuttle is $25 per person, so if you were able to rent a car at Ft. lauderdale (FLL) airport, drive it to South Beach and drop it off there for a total of $30 or $35, that would be cheaper and also faster, as the GO shuttle does stop at various hotels. Just make sure there wouldn't be a drop off fee. My suggestion - if you do this - is to drop off the car as soon as you unload your stuff and then walk and use the 25 cent shuttle bus to explore south beach.

There is a cheaper way, but with 2 of you, I'm not sure it would be worth it, as it's much slower. Take the long term parking bus from your FLL terminal (free) to the bus stop for the Broward County number 1 bus southbound (marked Aventura Mall). That bus costs around $2/person and will take about 35-40 minutes to get to the mall. I don't know if they provide transfers for Miami-Dade County buses, but you can ask. Get off, walk about 50 yards to the right and take either the S or the 120 bus to south beach. The 120 goes right into south beach. The S will let you off at a stop for the 25 cent shuttle (ask the driver) and that will get you right into south beach. The whole process could take between 2 and 3 hours.

If you drive, my suggestion is to take I-95 south from FLL (that long term parkinmg lot bus also goes to the car rental center). Avoid the high-rise fly-way on I-95, which the left lane will lead you into, otherwise you will end up on a toll section which does not accept cash and will get a bill in the mail, with a processing fee added. After you pass the exits for 79th and then 69th street, stay in the lane marked by the Miami Beach signs. As you approach the Miami Beach turnoff, it will appear as though the lasne under the Miami Beach signs really veers off to the right, but don't be fooled. Stay in it, and then bear left onto I-195 and watch out for the construction cones. I-195 and the causeway will take you right into Miami Beach. Ask the car rental dor directionjs to yiour hotel and/or their south beach office.

5. Re: Flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying in Siuth Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 10:31