We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited Time road trip

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitford, Auckland
Level Contributor
43 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Limited Time road trip

Has anyone got any advice. My daughter and friend want to see the Florida area and are also considering a road trip. They have two options (1) is to drive from the Dallas area to Florida where they would only have limited time. (2) is to fly from Dallas to Florida - spend some time seeing Disney etc and then drive to Miami via scenic? route? The later would allow a little more time in the area. They are both 21. Does anyone have any advice? Is there an interesting drive to Miami from Florida? Perhaps even staying a little way down the coast or inland? Many thanks for any help regards from New Zealand

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited Time road trip

Florida, in the context you use it, is not a single city but an entire state.

When you say drive or fly from Dallas to Florida, which city in Florida do you mean?

Remember that being 21, they would have difficulty finding a company to rent a car from and the state of Florida doesn't have good public transportation.

The drive from the Disney area to Miami I wouldn't call scenic at all unless you drive along the East coast road. But this is not a single continuous road and it would take probably 2 or 3 times longer than if they drove the interstate or the Turnpike.

How much time do they have for the trip?

Edited: 22 July 2012, 20:14
Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited Time road trip

If they can find a affordable car rental, they could fly into Orlando, stay in the area close to Disney, go to the parks for a couple of days, pick up a car and drive to Miami Beach for a couple of days and then drive to Key West for a few days. They could drive back to Orlando, drop the car off and fly out. The reason I said pick up the car after a few days at the parks is because you can get around the Kissimmee area (where most of the parks are) without a car. You can post in the Orlando forum for suggestions on where to stay and how to get around without a car. Miami Beach would be great fun for young women and Key West is not only fun but also it's a beautiful drive down there.

Whitford, Auckland
Level Contributor
43 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited Time road trip

Many thanks for your prompt reply! We are in the early stages of deciding on a trip. At this stage they would like to visit Disney in Orlando and have a decent look around Florida (City?) - as a thought we considered driving to Miami. The timeframe is slightly flexible as the tickets are not booked yet (to return to New Zealand). As a suggestion perhaps 7 - 10 days. Of course if they were able to drive most of this would be taken if they drove from Dallas (where they will be staying with friends). Both are 21 so if the age for renting a car is lower that will limit the options to perhaps flying to Florida and either staying put or busing? to Miami if worth the trip. Sorry if I appear vague but this is not an area we are familiar with and we are tossing around the best options as a 21st present to family. Any ideas would be appreciated and do you know the age for renting a car? cheers again

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited Time road trip

I wouldn't drive from Dallas to Orlando if I was limited on time. It's 1,000 miles each way and you have to go through 4 or 5 states to get to Florida. You mentioned geting a decent look "around Florida (City?)". There is a place called Florida City, but it's not a tourist destination and I can't imagine why anyone 21 would want to go there. It's a small city in the very south part of the Miami area.

I'd suggest you go to www.googlemaps.com and type in "Florida" in the search part. You'll see the state and how large it really is. It's not easy to drive though if you really want to see it if you have limited time, which is why I initally suggested that they fly into Orlando.

For car rentals, in the US most car rental agencies require you to be 25 to rent. There are some that will rent at 21 but they will charge extra and might hold a larger amount as a deposit when she rents. Your daughter will need to have a credit card in her own name to rent the car. She could use a debit card but the rental car agency will hold a lot of her money that she won't have access to until possibly a few weeks after she drops the car off. So credit card is the best way to go with a car rental.

Whitford, Auckland
Level Contributor
43 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited Time road trip

Many thanks again for taking the time to write. We have been on google and looked in to this options further. You are right - it does not appear a good idea to do the drive (and we have done most of it before). We are now considering flying her in to Orlando and then picking up a Contiki or similar trip for a few days. We are in the early stages so if you or anyone else has any idea's it would be much appreciated. Thank you again sincerely Lyn

6. Re: Limited Time road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2013, 10:16