We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean beach?

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Clean beach?

Looking forward to a trip in November, but recently read bad reviews about the beach. (Here is one source: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/10/2945221/south-beach-a-rundown-embarrassment.html) Cig butts, bottles and general garbage behind some of the 4* hotels. I understand a little garbage here and there. Anyone have this experience recently? Or suggest a "clean" area?

TIA!

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clean beach?

I would not worry. South Beach is an urban beach, so you may find sections where careless people leave some trash behind. It is a very big beach, and I never found this to be more than a minor nuisance. They do clean it every night, so every day it is cleanest in the early part of the day. The most crowded days are Sat and Sun. The beach is least crowded north of 23 street, but that area is also farther from places of interest. I would book the trip without worrying about beach conditions, they are almost always quite good (other than weather sometimes).

Here are more reviews of the beach by TA members:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34439-d14…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clean beach?

I have been to the beach there more than 25 times and never (ever) have seen offensive trash. Sure, a few things here and there , but nothing too bothersome. The beach is breathtaking. I love it!

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Clean beach?

Thanks to both for the replies! I was in South Beach just a few years ago and remember it being nice. We stayed at the now Perry hotel. Will definitely aim for the earlier part of the day. Again, thanks for the advice!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clean beach?

The beach is the bread-and-butter for the City of Miami Beach, so they do make an effort to keep it clean. But watch out for trash and garbage in the water - it's near the Port of Miami, and although it's not as common as before, some cvruise ships (and other ships) sill dump their crud in the water.

And always remember - never ever ever leave your valuables unwatched on south beach, not even for a few seconds!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clean beach?

The beach is cleaned every morning by the City. And it is beautiful :)

Good advice about keeping your eye on your belongings. They get stolen within seconds if you are not careful.

Jess

6. Re: Clean beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 17:17