We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami and the Keys at Christmas

Arizona, USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Miami and the Keys at Christmas

I am thinking about taking my teenager to Miami and environs over Christmas break this year, Never been south of Orlando and only flown there twice.

Would like to see the Keys, and the Everglades, maybe ride one of those airboats. Maybe a live theater performance.

That's as far as I have gotten.

Am worried about safety, single parent; and the weather.

Is it advisable to go that time of year? Is it safe? Is it easy to drive around or is there a lot of traffic? Should I do tours/shuttles instead? Willing to do a road trip, have about a week to play with but I will have to fly into Florida.

Is Miami the best airport to fly in to?

Thanks for any and all advice, truly appreciate it.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

Yes, Miami is safe.

Fly into either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale based on schedule and price.

Get a rental car and explore. Spend a few nights on South beach and a few nights in the Florida Keys. You can "do" the Everglades as a day trip from SoBe or on the way to the Keys.

Read some trip reports, think about what kinds of things you like to do and enjoy!

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,738 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

Wanna>

All safe, clear skies and ready to ROLL! Group your holiday into day trips to get the most bang for your buck.

It would help if you would give a little info about you

(mom? dad? interests?)

and your teen (boy?girl? age/interests?)

Check airfares into both MIA and FLL and pick whichever is cheapest. If you rent a car at the airport you can easily craft a fun road trip that includes the places you listed and enjoy one of the NICEST weather periods all year. (Little rain, beachy weather)

www.tinyurl.com/KEYS-IDEAS

For airboats and Everglades, do a day trip to Coopertown Airboats and also rent bikes and pedal through Shark Valley.

A day trip to the UPPER keys and John Pennekamp State Park (snorkel or take the glass bottom boat tour if you don't swim)

A day trip to South Beach and an Art Deco tour and afternoon at the beach.

A tour of local museums and landmarks. A ball game. A jet ski tour...

You name it - it is all here.

AG

Western US
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

Thank you for the input.

I have 3 nights on 41st street on the beach, I need two nights next yet to book (any ideas?) and I have key west two nights just before I come home.

I am a 50 yr old Mom with a teenaged son who will see a musical or play with me and likes history. I have since heard the key west is "very gay" and I am tolerant but am a little concerned about serious pda and passes made to my son, am I being paranoid?

I am thinking about hop on bus tour, little time at the beach and just walking around, and then at some point maybe a tall ship cruise, maybe parasailing, I was thinking Viscaya house, maybe the holocaust museum? I would like to do the air boat everglade tour.

Any other ideas? I am scouring tripadvisor and waiting for AAA maps etc.

Thank you so much for your help!

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,738 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

clear>

WHEN is your visit?

1. 41 Street is a bit north of the main tourist area so you might consider a hotel closer to 1-23 Streets to limit your need of transportation.

2. Next - I would pick a hotel adjacent to John Pennekamp Park as a stopping off point on your drive between Miami and Key West.

3. South Beach and Key West are diverse communities - not in ANY WAY a danger to you. I believe you might see people holding hands but there would be no predatory behavior toward your child.

4. PRINT: Local maps and transportation guide via the 25 cent shuttle (which will take you to ALL local sights & museums for a quarter!)

southbeach-usa.com/maps/miami-beach-maps.htm

My guide is here - www.tinyurl.com/SOBE-AG

Enjoy!

AG

Western US
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

OK I can cancel the other hotel and try to find something closer as you suggested, the only thing I am worried about now is getting myself booked into a party hotel. I don't really want that. Do you have any suggestions for a hotel in the area you suggest which will do a hotel shuttle and is not full of the beautiful people drinking scene? Moderately priced?

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it so much!

What do you think about the best western on the bay? I don't know if it's away from everything or not....

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,738 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

clear -

Best Western is WAY too far.

Check rates at the Kent, Breakwater, Richmond, Savoy or Century.

AG

Edited: 09 September 2012, 01:05
Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

I wouldn't worry about Key West with a teenager, boy or girl. If you are truly tolerant than most likely your son is too. Since he likes history try a cemetery tour while you're down there. Very interesting.

Western US
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

Thanks GK95!

I am tolerant, but I am still a Mom. I frankly haven't personally known a lot of other-than-hetero people. So haven't had a lot of chances to practice tolerance except for a few acquaintances. My son is quite tall and nice looking (if I do say so myself) and I was just being a Mom. I hope you understand,

I do appreciate your suggestion, will look into the cemetery thing in Key West for when we are there.

Thank you very much,

Clearblueeyes

Western US
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

OK after MUCH clicking and pasting and everything, I just cancellled bw and booked Park Central. I found a post recommending shuttles to the hotel and saved it so I think that will be easy. I assume Park Central is a better place to be? I am also going to be looking into a hop on hop off tour, I would rather not have to rent a car and deal with the parking.

Any nice but not couples only restaurants you might recommend? Not screamingly expensive? (under $100 for myself and my son). Not picky as to type of food, would like to avoid chains. Maybe cuisine particular to Miami?

Thanks again very much!

CBE

Edited: 09 September 2012, 19:17
miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,738 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miami and the Keys at Christmas

C>

Great choice. You'll need no car from the Park Central. You can either hop in a taxi outside baggage claim for under $40 or take the Airport Flyer bus. All info is on this page top right in the FAQ

The guide I posted above includes all reasonably priced restaurants near your hotel by type of food. Additionally, check out TapTap, Davids Cafe, Front Porch and Fix.

Food: www.tinyurl.com/SOBE-AG

Maps to print for transit and attractions: southbeach-usa.com/maps/miami-beach-maps.htm

AG