We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do/places to eat for mom and preteen . . . Help!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do/places to eat for mom and preteen . . . Help!

My 12 year old daughter and I are taking a mother/daughter cruise in March. We are staying a couple of nights in South Beach prior to the trip and have finally settled on the Century Hotel, but need some suggestions on restaurants or things to do. We don't want to spend a lot of money, but we can splurge a little for something nice. I want her to experience South Beach as much as possible . . . Any suggestions? Oh, by the way, we won't have a car!

Oh, and, probably no museums . . . fun stuff, but age appropriate for a pre-teen. We do LOVE the beach, so that will take up some of our time!:)

Edited: 28 September 2012, 23:16
m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do/places to eat for mom and preteen . . . Help!

That's a great location. The beach is great, and perfect for wading as you walk south towards south pointe. On windy days you can see people surfing in that area. South Pointe Park is worth a visit, esp in the evenings. On most days there should be large cruise departing and the park is a great place to view them (after 4:30 PM), and you can stay for the sunset views.

For diner type food try Big Pink at the corner of Collins and 2 street, though watch out for the overly large portions. A better breakfast is the Front Porch cafe (1400 block Ocean Dr) or Joe's Stone Crab Takeout section (they have seating). The best pizza in Miami is just a short walk from your hotel at Mi Ami (400 block Ocean Drive). FLB is also decent pizza (corner of Washington and 5'th). In the evenings be sure to stroll Lincoln Road Mall, for the shops, restaurants and people watching. And the Art Deco buildings along Ocean Drive.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do/places to eat for mom and preteen . . . Help!

Wow, great information, thanks!! We were already planning to try Joe's Stone Crab & I had read about Big Pink, so now we will definitely try both! Thanks, also, for not giving us expensive activities, but things we can enjoy for free. I am so excited about introducing my daughter to South Beach!:)

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do/places to eat for mom and preteen . . . Help!

marco>

Also do a half day at Jungle Island (quick cab from your hotel) and perhaps rent bikes at Miami Beach Bicycle Center on 5/Washington (they have kid-sized bikes) ride around South Pointe Park for safety...

More here - southbeach-usa.com/scene/scene1/boardwalk/mi…

My fun food guide - www.tinyurl.com/SOBE-AG

AG

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do/places to eat for mom and preteen . . . Help!

Great . . . I will check into these options. THANKS!!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do/places to eat for mom and preteen . . . Help!

More here - southbeach-usa.com/scene/scene1/boardwalk/mi…

My fun food guide - www.tinyurl.com/SOBE-AG

I've been checking these websites out the past few days . . . VERY helpful!! Thanks so much, advisor!

6. Re: Things to do/places to eat for mom and preteen . . . Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:18