We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
GA
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

Hi there,

I'm taking a sanity break in January for several days in South Beach. I'm staying at the Ritz b/c I'm familiar with these properties and I am traveling in a new city, alone. Any advice on what to do and where to go? Perhaps more importantly, where NOT to go? :)

I'm in my 30s, recently single and in need of some fun from spending all of my holidays solo.

S

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

Please be aware of your surroundings at all times.

As a 40something old male, my drink was spiked, as I learned later, restaurant staff sometimes try this in hopes of victims unknowingly paying too much or leaving behind a purse/wallet.

Also be aware that many restaurant automatically add 18% gratuity, so don't add any more, and if your service is bad ( which I encountered often ), speak with a manager and ask if the gratuity can be deducted ( very hard to do )

Just be careful, stay close to your hotel, and enjoy the beautiful weather and beach.

GA
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

Thanks much, calgarytroy. :)

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

Wide Awake>

Not sure if you're a girl single or a boy single but I am confident you'll have fun.

The Ritz is located in the heart of the South Beach scene and a short walk (westbound) is Lincoln Mall where there are a bunch of shops, sidewalk cafes and friendly people. You can also hop on the 25 cent shuttle bus to see the city easily and safely...

PRINT THESE:

southbeach-usa.com/maps/miami-beach-maps.htm

A few streets south is Ocean Drive where you will find the Art Deco district, bike rental kiosks to make it easy to explore the city - the baywalk:

southbeach-usa.com/scene/…miamibeach

or join an easy 90 minute walking tour (mornings 10ish) www.mdpl.org

or a beachfront yoga class every day at dawn and sunset (great people)

www.3rdstreetbeachyoga.com/

Message me your trip dates or pop over to my Facebook where i post fun local events...

www.facebook.com/AG.SoBe

Enjoy!

AG

GA
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

Hi AG!

Thanks so much for the fantastic trip advice! (I'm a chica, btw.)

I'm a yogi and I love bike riding and shopping. :) Your recommendations are right on point. I really appreciate your wisdom. THANK YOU!

Steph

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

My suggestions: (1) If you must carry a purse, never ever let it out of your sight. This particularly applies to the beach and also to hanging it over a chair in bars or restaurants while going to "use the facilities." (2) Accept a drink only if it comes directly from the hand of the server. (3) Stay off the beaches at night unless you're with a group, and don't wander alone late at night on streets where there aren't people walking around.

GA
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

Hi Richard,

These are really great pieces of safety advice. I'm astonished that I'll have to be so cautious about beverages... I feel like I'm in college again. Yikes!

I'll be super cautious about my personal property and where I walk at night. Thanks so much, I really appreciate your words.

Steph

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

I would also add to ask about the price of drinks before you order and I would pay as I go, not run a tab. A bit of a hassle I know but Miami Beach is notorious for the bait and switch on drink prices and you ending up with a huge tab at the end of the night. Not every place is like that but with so many tourists and people from out of the country you will obviously get those scams. Stay aware and you'll be fine. Enjoy your time!

8. Re: Advice for a newly single traveler in Miami Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:17