We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3.5 Days in South Beach - tack on Keys or Ft. Lauderdale?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
3.5 Days in South Beach - tack on Keys or Ft. Lauderdale?

Will be in South Beach MLK weekend - relaxing at beach, enjoying nightlife. I've never been to Florida so would like to see as much as I can without over doing it.

Good idea to allocate some time to go to the Keys or Ft. Lauderdale Beaches? Or should I devote the whole 3.5 to beaches at Miami.

Asking because trying to decide whether to rent a car. Will be flying into & out of Ft. Lauderdale.

And if you have recommendations on where to go, please share! Thank you!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3.5 Days in South Beach - tack on Keys or Ft. Lauderdale?

Personally in that time scale I would concentrate on Miami, Miami beach, perhaps Key Biscayne. The keys are great but you are much better off taking a little more time to experience them. If it's your first time the Miami city tour will familiarize you with the geography, culture and opportunities that Miami / Miami beach has to offer. Theres plenty for 3.5 days - Enjoy.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3.5 Days in South Beach - tack on Keys or Ft. Lauderdale?

I don't recommend driving all the way to Key West, but if you are interested in nature, rent a car and drive out to Everglades National Park (Florida City entrance). After that you can devote the rest of available daylight for a drive down the Keys part way. Take Card Sound Road out of Florida City while heading out for a more interesting drive.

However, as stated above, if you are enjoying the city and beach after day 1 and weather is good you can easily spend the entire time in south beach and not be bored.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3.5 Days in South Beach - tack on Keys or Ft. Lauderdale?

I am like you. When I go to a new place, I like to drive around and see the surroundings and get a feel of the place. So if I were you, I would definitely rent a car.

You can drive north on A1A -- perhaps as far as for lauderdale (1 hour) or even palm beach (2 hours). It's a slow drive due to congestion but it is fun. You get a real feel for what florida is like. Come back on the highway, much quicker but nothing to see.

As others suggested, you can also drive to the everglades entrance, or to the upper keys. Those drives are less scenic, but the destination itselves are nice.

Don't hear me wrong. If you just want to chill on the beach and eat out, you can fill 3.5 days in miami beach very easily, without even stepping foot in a vehicle. But if you like to see a bit of country, there is a lot to see.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3.5 Days in South Beach - tack on Keys or Ft. Lauderdale?

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the suggestions, it was exactly what I needed! I think will just plan on staying in Miami and if feel up for it, venture to the nearby spots some of you recommended.

Ready for my trip now! Much thanks!!!

~ Amy

5. Re: 3.5 Days in South Beach - tack on Keys or Ft. Lauderdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 07:16