We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

Hi - We'll be in the Tampa/Clearwater area and driving down to the Keys to spend several days. My kids expressed an interest in taking surfing lessons this trip, which I know is not really possible on the west coast. We'll driving not too far from Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale and I know there are companies that provide lessons in those locations.

It's hard to find information/reviews about the Miami/Ft. L surf companies online, however, since the most popular destinations for surfing in Florida tend to be Cocoa Beach and other east coast beaches. The east coast beaches are too far out of our way for this trip, so I'd really like to make the south beaches work for us.

Can anyone provide some insight as to how decent a one day surf lesson experience would be for my kids in south FL? Ages range from 8-16, so we don't need giant waves - but it would be disappointing to make the plans to drive/stay there if the chances of a surf lesson could be squashed because of flat water. We'll be going in late June/early July, so I suspect thunderstorms could affect our plans anyway, but would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

In my opinion we have flat water here in Ft. Lauderdale more often than not- very mild beaches- that's why all the major surfing is further north of us in Cocoa/Daytona beach.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

Click here for a look at our live beach cam- I think you can see how flat our waves are most of the time

http://www.sunny.org/webcam/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

Yeah, that's what I thought. I am not sure if some of those surfing outfits commute to the beaches that have waves the days of the lessons?

Here's a link to one of the surf places:

http://www.ezridesurfschool.com

It all sounds very touch and go anyway, since wave conditions can vary so much in any location depending on weather...

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

pokee>

I understand that the most important thing for kids is NOT to disappoint them... so please understand that WAVEs are beyond anyone's control. If it is a windy day we may have surf and if it is a beautiful sunny day - FLAT tides.

But you and the kids can't really know what the weather will be during your visit and it seems unfair to tiny minds to promise the excitement of surf lessons (or to PAY for them in advance) and then get here and find a beautiful beach day and no surf.

You may need to hold off on surf classes until you visit Hawaii - but the Keys do offer a great variety of water sports and perhaps you can schedule a jet ski ride or something the kids might like instead...

southbeach-usa.com/news/travel/10-things-mia…

AG

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

Pokee,

At that time of year it is often flat this way too. The beaches that generally have bigger waves are closer to Melbourne.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks for the replies. Since we'll be flying in and out of Tampa, we'll likely make a detour on the way home from the keys up the east coast plan to visit Cocoa Beach, then. It's actually not too far out of the way. I wasn't planning on it, as my spouse and I have been there before, but I figure if the ocean is really calm the day we plan our lessons, we'll likely do something else, as there's a lot of things I think my family would like to do there!

Thanks again for the info!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

Check www.surfline.com for the size of waves a day or two before you go. note that for a beginner's lesson you don't need much: 1ft waves or 1.5ft is plenty. More than that will be too hard. You can also look up a local surf shop on the web and call them up.

8. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 17:35
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

Reported for advertising

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surf Lessons in Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale?

x 2 . see ya