We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is South Beach for us?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Is South Beach for us?

We are looking to stay a week in southern Florida in a few weeks-- yes very last minute!! We are in our 30's but we aren't into clubs. A fun night would be more like listening to live music in a casual beachy restaurant. We are trying to decide between Delray, South Beach, and somewhere in the Keys and I have no clue which will suite us best. We want and need to relax and will probably rent a boat or go fishing one day. We like to walk around shops, eat seafood, and lay in the sun. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
South Beach
South Beach
17,120 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is South Beach for us?

That sounds like a Keys vacation to me. South Beach is fun for what it is, but it is loud with a lot of visual sensory going on. Delray Beach is nice but for total laid back time, pick one of the Keys. If you go to a northern one you could always drive to spend a day on South Beach if you really wanted to see it.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,120 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is South Beach for us?

Thank you! I think you made my mind up. We are going to the Keys! Which area is the best?

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is South Beach for us?

Sara>

I'd suggest a few nights on South Beach (James Royal Palm, Surfcomber ) or check out TRAVELZOO.com which has online offers for the Mondrian and the smaller hotels like the Lord Balfour right now -

www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/Miami/deals

www.travelzoo.com/hotels/florida/?tz_cs=HPV0

jetluxuryresorts.com/mondrian-south-beach-ho…

Then you can hop into an inexpensive rental car and do a quick road trip to Casa Morada in the UPPER Keys to spend some quiet days in the sun and out on the water.

http://tinyurl.com/KEYS-IDEAS

AG

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,120 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is South Beach for us?

The northern part of South Beach also known as Mid Miami Beach offers plenty of properties, which will satisfy your needs.

Check-out Grand Beach Hotel for example. It is a beachfront location with direct beach access from hotel premises and is perfect for a relaxing vacation in Miami Beach. This property is further north from South Beach, but easily accessible.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,120 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is South Beach for us?

Having been to both Key West and Miami (3rd time in four years) earlier this year my vote is South Beach, it has a great friendy vibe and can be as wild or chilled as you like, and is very easy to wander round on foot, shopping, eating, drinking, people watching. Loads of bars, resturants to choose from especially on Lincoln, and Espanol Way, For your ref we are mid 40's love south beach it is the only place we have travelled back to so much. You can get on the water in many ways, maybe do a harbour tour from bayside which also gets in some shopping. Key West was nice had four days there, nice clean town, and glad we went but personally a little laid back, and rather touristy on the shopping front perhaps as you would expect, that said had a lot of nice art type shops/gallerys, lots of live music all day but a bit folk/ county/ Bob Dylan like for me but each to their own. If it was me in my 30@s it would be South Beach everytime. Have a great time

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
South Beach
South Beach
17,120 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is South Beach for us?

I would recommend either Key Largo or Marathon Key. Key Largo has several waterfront bars that have awesome fresh seafood and great local talent playing on the weekends. You can explore up to South Beach, if you feel the need for crowds and noise, or down a few islands to relax and take in the beautiful surroundings. It is very laid back, but yet still not that far to the airport. Marathon Key and the islands north and south of there have great local bars with wonderful fresh seafood and great ambiance.

Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
South Beach
South Beach
17,120 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
7. Re: Is South Beach for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:16