We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metropolitan by COMO or W Hotel?

florida
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Metropolitan by COMO or W Hotel?

Would much appreciate hearing pros and cons of each. They're both expensive, so I'd like to make the right choice.

Since we're not party-people (we're elderly and appreciate quiet and relaxation), I know that COMO is probably the better bet in that sense. But I wonder if there are over-riding qualities about W that might make it an even better choice. We like very comfortable rooms and bathrooms and a fine beach. Also great view.

Many thanks.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metropolitan by COMO or W Hotel?

The W is a block or closer to the action, so possibly that much less walking. Also, it is more likely to have the great view. Otherwise, Metropolitan is newer and probably a bit quieter by a small margin. Both are on the beach. Overall it's a close call and you could be happy in either one.

florida
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metropolitan by COMO or W Hotel?

Thanks for quick response. Can you tell me in what way W is likely to have a better view? Is it somehow closer to the beach/ocean?

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metropolitan by COMO or W Hotel?

The COMO (former Traymore) is a smaller building, surrounded by taller buildings, so only rooms at the east end have an ocean view, though I assume if you can reserve one of those rooms, the view will be very decent. See this view of the hotel on Bing maps:

http://binged.it/U6E33l

The W is a newer taller building, with no building very close on either side, and I believe all or most have balconies. The ones facing south should all have particularly great view. See this link from Bing maps:

http://binged.it/1zu0NuP

florida
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metropolitan by COMO or W Hotel?

Wow, thank you! Being a technological troglodyte (no iPad/pod/phone, no real sense of how to use the wonders of the computer), I wouldn't know how to "bing," though I've seen such a few times before. It looks extremely helpful, except that I can't quite tell what I'm looking at, e.g. for sure which buildings are the hotels. One building looks so close to other buildings that I can't imagine that there's much natural light in the rooms (which I would find depressing). And the balconies on buildings look like they face sideways, not out to the ocean? I was trying to find the pools that are supposedly rooftop at both hotels, and also to get a sense of what the beach level pools look like. Couldn't really see the kinds of things I was looking to see, no doubt because I don't know how to zoom, etc.

I was surprised that the beach looked so narrow; perhaps the tide was especially high when the photos were taken? I'm curious: Do you happen to know the tide differentiation on Miami Beach?

Thanks again for the very helpful website, and if you can help me navigate it so that I can see things better, that'd be great.

5. Re: Metropolitan by COMO or W Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:17