We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sobe to MIA--best time to leave?

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
291 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Sobe to MIA--best time to leave?

I have an 11:30 AM flight from MIA on a tuesday. Coming from Sobe/art deco district, what would be the best time and way to leave the area? I was debating on getting a shuttle service (like supershuttle) but I would be nervous of all the stops (in a potential morning rush hour), and I don't want to get up super early. So I think I will put money into a cab--any realiable sobe cab companies you can recommend as well?

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sobe to MIA--best time to leave?

Road>

The challenge is rush hour and the important unknown factor is the weather. If you wake up and it is raining - add to your travel time.

Generally, airlines want you at the terminal 2 hours early. If you are flying out of MIA, you will have a line to check in at the ticket agent desk which can be longer if you are turning over a suitcase to the checked baggage hold. After that, there can be a long wait to get through the x-ray area and metal detector too!

MIA takes a long time... worse on holiday weekend and peak hours

So - let's do the math...

You need to be at the airport at 9.30 to be 2 hours early for an 11.30 flight. By taxi (305)532-5555 from South Beach which will charge a flat rate plus tip of about $40 you should require 30 minutes travel time. If it is raining, you need 60 minutes just in case.

Speaking as a local and a rush hour driver, I strongly suggest you tell the driver you want to take 1-95 rather than 395 to the airport. The difference is that 1-95 "The Julia Tuttle Causeway" takes you through mid-Beach and toward the airport expressway route 112 (a road less traveled and far less congested). 395 can take you directly from South Beach and past the port and then around the runways and perimeter roads of the airport and is always slower going...

MAPS:

southbeach-usa.com/maps/miami-beach-maps.htm

Good luck!

AG

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
291 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sobe to MIA--best time to leave?

thanks, AG!

so tell the cabbie, let's take 95 not 395---got it!

I think I will plan on leaving at 8:15A, regardless, for good measure.

I'm sure MIA has some good breakfast spots to hold me over. Your comment about Miami airport lines has made me reconsider bringing a laptop this trip!

3. Re: Sobe to MIA--best time to leave?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 19:16