We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

Houston
Level Contributor
29 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

Long weekend for group of girlfriends. 2 nights to eat out. Thinking of something authentic one night - Puerto Sagua and can't decide on the 2nd night - Prime 112, Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab - I value your opinions!!

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

Just so you know you cannot compare Puerto Sagua to the other restaurants you've mentioned. Puerto Sagua is a dive whereas the others are more upscale. Just warning you in advance.

Im going to Puerto Sagua for lunch on and Prime 112 for supper on Saturday.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

Hello Houston Vacationer,

Most of the restaurants you mentioned are all very good - it depends upon what you are looking for. He's my take:

Prime 112 - Very popular now. Owned by the same folks that own Nemo (another great spot - but a romantic place for couples rather than a bunch of "girls" on vacation). Prime 112 has both great steak and seafood. It is very active and lively, which means loud. The bar is packed. They accept reservations but expect to wait none the less. Service is very good but the place is packed. Great place to see and be seen.

Barton G - Never been there but have heard they are known for their steaks. Been around for a while and still popular from what I've read.

Joe's Stone Crab - Very good seafood and a South Beach icon. However they don't take reservations so unless you go VERY early or VERY late (SoBe restaurants stay open late!) expect a wait. Unless you know the alleged secret-protocol of the matre'd (which includes cash), the wait can be two hours or more. They have a nice bar and decent people watching so it's not a bad way to spend the better part of an evening. I'd also say it's a little more touristy than say Prime 112.

Puerto Sagua is nothing like the other restaurants you've mentioned (and I mean NOTHING). You're entire meal at Puerto Sagua may be less than an appetizer at these other restaurants. I've never eaten there but have heard it's authentic and a favorite of the locals (on a budget) but have heard some scary things about it. I've walked past it many times but never had the desire to walk in. To be honest, I've eaten as several Cuban restaurants in SoBe and none of them were that good. Having said that, the Mojitos (which came from Cuba) at Lario's on the Beach (Ocean Drive at 8th Street) are some of the best (and strongest) Mojitos anywhere in SoBe - however I would NOT eat there but rather stick to their bar.

A place I always enjoy is China Grill. They have surprising very good food and serve it such that everyone shares. It's also a high-energy place (fairly lively and loud). As the evening starts thinking about becoming early morning, a DJ starts spinning records (showing my age) and the bar area turns into a night club.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

My husband and I ate at Prime 112 last September and loved the atmosphere and the food. We're going back this May and I'm definitely making a reservation for Prime 112.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

Was at Prime 112 on Saturday for superbowl weekend. Amazing spot!!! One of the best meals I've ever had in my life. We saw Spike Lee and Alex Rodriguez. It was a hell of a good time. I wish the SuperBowl would be in Sobe every year!!

Miami, FL
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

I would recommend Prime 112, very good food and very popular. Make sure you make reservations ahead if you want to go during prime hours, if not you can go when they open at 5:30 and sit on the patio which is also nice. Its also one of the best lunch spots on South Beach, we go for meetings frequently.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

I can't recommend Prime 112. Bad food, average service, and as everyone else has already pointed out - loud and chaotic.

I hate the rationale that since A-Rod and Spike Lee were there, it must be good. The truth is that this place serves grocery store quality steak at outrageous prices. I've had better meals at the ballpark ( although the ballpark wasn't much cheaper).

I would recommend going to Nemo's. Nemo is also overpriced, but the food was very good and the service was up to par.

7. Re: Prime 112 or Barton G or Joe's Stone Crab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 16:20