We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in naples

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
what to do in naples

Usually stay on other coast but thought my husband and I would give Naples a try - anything worth doing there, I kinda thought it was a retirement community - We're in our mid 50's love to kayak and birdwatch, and do different exploring--any hints?? thanks in advance

Rising Tide Explorers
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Up a Creek Kayak Tours
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Equipment Hire
Naples Kayak Company
Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Finseeker Guided Adventures
Eco Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in naples

Naples is very upscale and nice. No, it's not a retirement community. If you're lookiong for a more natural, outdoors setting, you might prefer Sanibel or Captiva.

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in naples

Naples is a great little town with great beaches, restaurants and shopping. If you want to see nature rent some kayak on lovers key (Bonita Springs). It a short drive from Naples. You can explore the back waters of lovers key, called Estero Bay. Its a big area with shallow water, lots of dolphins, an occasional manatee and lots of birds. It has lots of mangrove islands for you navigate and explore.

Hope that helps!

MenuGuy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in naples

Hi Basslady,

Naples has changes over the past 10 years and the median age is now 45. Hardly retirement age, although it would be nice to retire at 45!

You have been given some great suggestions, especially about Lover's Key. Another place you would like is Corkscew Sanctuary. Check out their website:

http://www.corkscrew.audubon.org/

If you have any other interests let us know and we'll make more suggestions for.

Chicago and Naples...
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in naples

Since you can not kayak after dark, you should know that Naples is a Culture Vulture's paradise. Look up the Sugden Theater and the Naples Philharmonic and Art Museum. In addtion there are many other galleries. Lots of nightlife along 5th Ave South and in bars around town Great food.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in naples

We love the East Coast of Florida but would love to LIVE in Naples! The first thing you'll notice is the lack of hotels on the beach (there are a few).

The entire city of Naples is a bird sanctuary. I am sorry I didn't have time to go to the Corkscrew Preserve because I love birding also. I brought home a tourist magazine with me and there were a few ads for kayak tours. Sorry it's at home right now.

A few years ago we took a pontoon tour south of Naples all the way to the Gulf (10,000 islands.) We much prefered it over the airboat tours. The guide was knowledgable and pointed out all kinds of birds and reptiles.

If you go down to Tin City, the historic section, it is basically a little port. Many of the chartered boats and a catamaran leave out of this area.

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in naples

thanks zeebo - sounds great except lack of hotels--do you know the best time for birding down there???--or hurricane season??--- anyone else out there with info - it would be great thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do in naples

thanks menueguy--sounds great, any info on what type of kayaks or price or how to contavt place

rochester, ny
Level Contributor
114 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do in naples

The best time for birding is during winter when many birds winter here. There are great beaches for viewing shorebirds and Marco Island is a short drive with more activities. The Everglades and Big Cypress are short (less than an hour) drives. If you are staying longer than a few days, consider renting since lots of condos are for rent because ofthe housing collapse. There are lots of hotels near the beach too. We winter here and love all the outdoor activities.

9. Re: what to do in naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 10:22