We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

nj
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

we are planning a short vacation for our anniversary in May. We love the beach but would also like to sightsee. which area is best?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

Naples is a very beautiful city. The houses/buildings are amazing. It is a very clean town. The beaches are very nice, just about every block there is a parking area with a walk way to the beach. Loudermilk beach is a larger area beach with more parking area, but gets full fast. Fort Myers is a more crowded area, busier and more traffic. Naples is a great spot for a low-key vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers
Fort Myers
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

I agree with Zippy, Naples is a beautiful city. It would be my choice of the three. The beach is soft white sand, uncrowded, easy to park and they have a nice fishing pier. There are plenty of ways to get on the water (kayak, catamaran, sightseeing boats, etc.) if you head down to Tin City which is the historic section of town. It is also convenient to several EvergladE tours and there is a well-known car museum but I haven't been there and don't know the name.

Ft. Myers is nice but a lot more crowded and wall to wall condos & hotels on the beach. The beach is a lot more crowded too. It is convenient to the Edison & Ford winter homes which I think is interesting to tour. But I would still stay in Naples and drive to Ft. Myers for those home tours if you were interested. However, if you do stay in Ft. Myers the thing that I wouldn't miss doing is driving across the bridge to Sanibel Island. It is known as the shelling capital of the world. Bring your beach shoes because they do not have soft sand, rather the beach is made of crushed shells. If you get there early in the day you will have a good chance of finding whole shells! It is easy to park at the public beach but you will need money for the meters.

Sarasota is nice. There is a good mixture of shopping & hotels there and it's not as busy as Ft. Myers but not as classy as Naples. They have the John & Mable Ringling Museum (which is art) and the Circus Museum which has a broader appeal, especially if you have children. The Ringling home (Ca d'Zan) is also available for touring. It is one of the "better" home tours in Florida. I've never actually stayed in Sarasota, but nearby Clearwater. I think the hotels in this area are probably less expensive than Naples but then again, Naples is what I prefer.

Mentioned in this post
Tin City
Tin City
833 Reviews
Naples, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

We picked Naples on a whim, and I couldn't have been more pleased! One thing I forgot to add was the sunsets on the pier. The last poster reminded me. It was by far the most beautiful thing I have seen. The experience was something I won't forget. The pier jets out pretty far into the Gulf, so all you see is water and the sun. Naples will definatly be a return vacation spot for me for many many years! (until I retire there!!)

nj
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

How far is the drive from naples to ft myers or to sarasota?

How is the weather in May? Any thing we should be aware of at that time of year?

thank you for your responses.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

Naples to Fort Myers is about a half hour drive. Naples is SO much nicer then Ft. Myers. I'm not sure about Sarasota. The only thing I know about May is the stingrays start to come out, but all you have to do is the 'stingray shuffle'. Just move your feet about b/f you step any where. Check out this website:

http://www.naples-florida.com/

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers
Fort Myers
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Wilmington, Vermont
Level Contributor
118 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

Of your options, I'd agree with the prior posters that Naples would make the best selection of the three. The beaches, shopping and restaurants are outstanding.

Ft. Myers Beach, 30-45 minutes to the north, is more crowded and more touristy than Naples.

Sarasota, a 1.5 hour drive to the north, has great beaches and an aray of hotels, plus revitalized downtown. A day at the Ringling Museum which encompasses the Art museum housing John and Mabel Ringling's art collection, the circus museum and their amazing residence on Sarasota Bay are worth the drive.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples, FL
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

I agree with the others, but note that it starts to get "hot" (90's) in May. Most of us snowbirds head north by late April / early May.

Dorset,England
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

Naples and Sarasota are far more "chic" than Fort Myers though the beach at Fort Myers is great as it has lots going on. Plenty of beach front dining / bars etc. so worth a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers
Fort Myers
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
new jersey
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

You may want to consider Sanibel or Captiva Island at the end of Fort Myers. Great little shops and white beaches known for shelling. They have some quainter hotels as well. We love Naples and spend weeks during the summer there. Lots of great dining so staying there would be nice as well and then perhaps a side trip, about 45 mins. to Sanibel. If you need any other recommendations, let us know!

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers
Fort Myers
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
10. Re: Naples, Ft Myers Beach, Or Sarasota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 03:18