We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark Attacks

northamptonshire, UK
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shark Attacks

Hi

Staying in Naples last 2 weeks in July and starting to get paranoid about potential shark attacks either whilst in the water or paddling in shallow water. Are my fears justified?

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark Attacks

Have you ever heard of media hype?

Well, that's what they did with sharks.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,886 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark Attacks

Most shark attacks occur on the east coast of Florida. Don't think I've heard of any in the Naples area. For the most part shark attacks occur when there a loads of bait fish in the water. If you are swimming where there are tons of small fish then you may want to move to another area to swim or wait until the bait pass by. Sharks are really only after the bait fish.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark Attacks

This is what the media can do....

Think for a minute of how many people are swimming in the ocean in Florida on any given July day -- from the Panhandle, all the way around the Gulf, through the Keys, and all the way up the Atlantic coast

Now think about how many times you hear about a shark attack...now think about how many times you hear about it being fatal. The whole reason that shark attacks make the news is because they are very, very rare.

Feel better?

Not to feed your paranoia, but you're far more at risk of serious bodily injury in the car getting to the beach.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark Attacks

I have been here nearly a decade and have heard of just a 1-2 little bites ( not bad ones) A sting ray sting is actually more common. At the pier where there is fishing they are not allowed to fish for sharks but (weekly) one (small one) is caught. I would not swim near the pier. Follow a few cautions and you should be fine. Avoid going in the water if bleeding and shiney jewery, don't swim near fisherman. When I am in the water-- I like to keep an eye on things, try not to turn my back on the open sea and get in deep water over my chest. like the other posters said it really is not probable so try to relax and enjoy Naples.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark Attacks

As a scuba diver in the Keys, being down there with them is fascinating. They don't want to eat you! You're bigger than they are! They'll stick to their routine of easy to catch small fish.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark Attacks

Even the big ones (every reef has a resident shark, and some of them can get 5-7') retreat when divers approach -- the divers and the sharks keep a close eye on each other, from a distance.

7. Re: Shark Attacks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Naples