We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Debbie Myers
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Topic
alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

Hi,

Just returned from Naples......had a great time!

We went to Ft Laudersale for the day. The person we went to visit asked how many alligators we saw on the highway and when we said none, she said they're there. They just look like tires on the side of the road. So on the way back we looked at those tires. They looked like tires to me. I did see some alligators in the swampy areas off the road a bit.

But what about those tires? Are they tires or alligators? Does anyone know?

Debbie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

OK, I go from Naples to Lauderdale a few times a year and have yet to see an alligator! I was told the same thing about the tires and they are just tires. Yes, they would be in the swampy areas though so if you saw one, I am offically jealous!

I did finally see one last week after 20 years of living there but I was at a friends house and it was in the lake in front of her lanai not 10 feet away!! Talk about too close for comfort!

Debbie Myers
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

LOL!!

I can't believe this!

I was thinking that I could not see the alligator in those tires. but the other mom I was traveling with (who was driving) said that she could see how they were curled up and how one end tapered, like the alligator's snout! Oh my gosh! We spent the entire time checking out the black things on the side of the road! And we had long discussions about how weird it was that these alligators had "adapted" to the environment so well that they looked exactly like tires, down to the tread!

But I did see alligators in the water/swamp areas. They were just sticking up in the water.....snout and eyes. I maybe saw 2 or 3, but I think the time of day may have been why they were there. We were driving just before and at dusk. I imagine that is a good feeding time.

Tire or Alligator?

Well, it was a fun game while it lasted!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

I think you've officially had your chain yanked...they're tires.

Once in a great while a gator or other creature crawls onto the highway and gets hit -- but they usually haul them away so they don't draw vultures and other carrion-eaters (which would in turn get hit and make a bigger mess).

Debbie Myers
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

mama924......

that alligator you saw at your friends was just a little too close for comfort.

We used to go to Sanibel a lot and the complex we stayed in has a lagoon. You have to cross it by bridge to get to the pool and clubhouse. There has been resident alligators there for as long as I can remember. They like to hang out by the edges of the lagoon when people are grilling. Once my husband saw one slip into the bushes as he was taking my daughter down to the beach.

Creepy!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

I think they're yanking your chain too. That would be kind of a rare sight as the fences along the road do keep most of them from getting on the road.

In trucker CB radio lingo, they call those long tire treads on the roads "alligators" when telling other trucks to beware of them on the road. That might be how this started.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

Deb, all I kept thinking is what if someone is walking their dog and let's it off it's leash near their condo. Snack for the gator! Yikes!

I got a stiff neck looking in the banks of water on I-75. I'm glad you got to see a few. I was convinced they weren't there!

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

I've seen gators along the Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41) while passing through the Everglades, and some of them were pretty big! Also saw one in the parking lot of the Clyde Butcher gallery. We got pretty close, and he held his ground!

Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
270 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

Just went through 41 last week and literally saw hundreds!

Stop at the welcome center for a close up view from the boardwalk.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

Yes -- there are so many IN THE DITCHES AND CANALS alongside the highways that' you'll either lose count or get tired of looking at them.

But they're not on the shoulder of the road.

(A tire is what, an inch or so thick at most? A full grown gator is a heavy-bodied animal -- pretty obviously thicker than even a heavy-duty truck tire.)

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: alligators on highway 75 to Ft Lauderdale

Hi

We have seen tons of alligators driving on 75 from Ft. lauderdale to naples. Last yr we took us 41 to key west from naples and also saw alot of alligators. There is a rest area on 41 that has a walkway near a waterway and it is loaded with alligators.