We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Sussex
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Hello Fellow Tripadvisors, Me,my wife and 9 year old son are staying at the Ritz Carlton Golf hotel for 11 days from the 19th july. We were in The Ritz in orlando over Christmas and found the service amazing. Looking through the things to do section there does not seem to be as much to do as Orlando, don't get me wrong after a couple of days at the theme parks in Orlando we had enough! Other than the Pier, Zoo and the boat rides there seems to be not much else to do. I was perhaps thinking of getting a flight from a nearby hotel to Mexico or the Bahamas to break up the stay or indeed a cruise or charter a boat.

Any comments would really be appreciated

Kind Regards

Kumar

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Naples is a great place but with 11 days, I would break up the trip a bit. You could head over to Miami or down to the Keys.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Unfortunately you wouldn't get a "flight from a nearby *hotel* to Mexico or the Bahamas".

But seriously, you can do day trips to the Everglades, Ft. Myers Beach, Siesta Key, Lido Key, Longboat Key, and Anna Maria Island.

The wife might like St. Armands Circle on Lido Key - take away the credit cards though. LOL.

Or make your base on Anna Maria Island and do a day trip to Tampa for Busch Gardens, Lowry Park Zoo, and to the St. Petersburg/Clearwater areas. A little further north there's the Greek settled area of Tarpon Springs where sponge diving is still done.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Theres also the Sun and Fun Lagoon which looks good for you all, loads of cruises from Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Miami but would have to drive to get there, look at the other Forums for those areas if not pop a question on the Orlando Forum whih is really helpful, and is always a busy forum. Some of the 4 day cruises are good value to the Bahamas loads of info around about those, no matter what you do you will love Naples great restaurants, good shops, the Everglades are close by for a trip, buy a cheap rod and do some fishing all the lads at our hotel loved doing that (they put them back of course!!), have agreat holiday....laura

KY
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

We spend 10 days in Naples every year and it does get boring. I don't mind spending all my time at the beach and pool but I've been coming to Naples since I was 4 and I remember how boring it can be. We used to take day trips to other cities like Miami to help break up our trip. It will probably be a lot more enjoyable for your son to go on a cruise or fly somewhere else in the middle of your stay.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

In addition to the Pier, Zoo and boat rides you have:

Sun and Fun Lagoon Water Park - 4 pools for different age groups, a lazy river, 2 water slides

King Richards Family Fun Park has go carts, lasar tag, putt putt golf, 24 foot rock climbing wall, and video games - on Airport Road between Pine Ridge and Vanderbilt Beach Roads http://www.kingrichardspark.net/

Try the Sanctuary skateboard park near Coastland Mall

Park Description:

22,000 sq ft Street Course, Mini, Bowl, Vert (Outdoor). Sessions: 3 hours,

Members $3.00 Non Members: $10.00 one Session / $15.00 two sessions.

Check the current exhibits or programs at Rookery Bay Estuarine Reasearch Reserve (off 951 which is the road entering Marco Island from Naples/41) - website is

http://www.rookerybay.org/

Rainy days are great movie days - Try Marco Movies - you can select seating at round tables with large comfortable barrel chairs and food is served at your table - not a full restaurant menu, but you can get things like hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken wings, salads, beer, wine -- not your everyday movie theater -

http://www.marcomovies.com/

Discount Shopping at Miromar Outlets with stores like Polo, Calvin Klein, Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, Brooks Brothers, Cole Hann, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic,

Clark Shoes -

http://www.miromar.com/florida.html

Or Prime Outlets

Website - www.primeoutlets.com/centerinfo.asp

Putt Putt Golf on Tamiami Trail/41 near Davis Blvd.

For a day trip try Imaginarium - Hands on Museum in Ft. Myers

www.cityftmyers.com/imaginarium/index.aspx

The Edison and Ford Winter Estate (Located in Fort Myers) www.edison-ford-estate.com

Or the Shell Factory in Ft. Myers

There are several different types of boating activities on the water - not just boat rides. Airboat rides in the Everglades. Catamaran sailing for sunset and wildlife viewing. Kayak or canoe rentals, waverunner rentals.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Yes...11 days is too long. I have lived here in Naples for a year but have lived all over Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Ft. Myers) and visited everywhere else. I would say that 5-6 days would be plenty. I would include these points of interest: 1) Naples proper which includes 5th Aveune and Old Naples 3rd Street. The beach, pier, etc. is all in this vincinity. 2) Marco Island, 3) Sanibel and Captiva Islands, 4) Everglades, 5) Golf- if you play. It is very slow, and hot here in July and you are sure to get the summer thunderstorms. I would highly suggest heading to the Florida Keys. Stay over in Key Largo and Key West. There is a ferry that leaves from Naples and Marco Island that heads straight to Key West. You could rent a car in Key west and drive north up the keys. I would then take a 3-4 day cruise out of Ft. Luaderdale and go to the Bahammas, Mexico, etc. Good luck!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Great info pattib, cant believe the cinema, will be going there when we are over, looks fab, even if its not raining ....laura

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

If you enjoy the Ritz (their service is indeed superb), perhaps enjoy the Naples area for half the time and then come up to the Ritz in Sarasota for the remaining days. Sarasota Ritz has a fabulous beach club and access to a terrific private golf club. In addition to a change in scenery for you, Sarasota has its own attractions ranging from museum, theaters, botanical gardens, aquarium, etc.

jersey girl
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Never long enough for me...

I have been visiting Naples for the last 15 summers

usually 1-2 weeks for summer vacation and love every minute of it. Hate to go home.

You can spend a week just going from beach to beach

1. Clam Pass Near Naples Grande take the little tram ride down the boardwalk, water rentals

2. Vanderbilt Beach - were all the locals go lots of teens, families.

Stop at Ritz or Turtle Club for frozen cocktails on the go. water rentals

3. Bonita Beach great little restaurant right on the beach and jetski/boat rentals

4. Barefootbeach, quiet state park views of gorgeous homes and you may even see turtles crossing the roads.

5. Seagate Beach, off the beaten path near clam pass

no bathrooms but very quiet and private.

6. Wiggins Pass, State park, you can grill right on the beach.

7. Sanibel Islandand or Captiva Island,

nice ride along the coast and the best seashell finds in the world. Feel like you are at the end of the earth.

8. Ding Darling Nature reserve/Lovers Key

9, Have yet to visit Siesta Key but maybe on next trip.

10.And if you have enough time take Ferry or drive over to Key west as beautiful as Naples is Key West is Paradise!

Now how do you fit all the other stuff in, Outlet shopping, Waterpark, Zoo, fishing,

oh yes a day of nothing to just rest

you are on vacation right?

jersey girl
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is eleven days stay in Naples too long

Oh I forgot Lowdermilk Park Beach

take the ride down Gulf Shore Blvd,

restrooms/snackbar, huts on the beach for shade,

swings, volleyball,