We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

My boyfriend and I want to move permanently to Naples from Philadelphia. He has worked winters there for 8 years and now we want to stay. Is this a good time to buy. We are first tiem buyers in our mid twenties? Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

great time to buy....lived here 10 years.

Nothing really else to say. I am 27 and often time I feel like I suffocate here

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

Hi Rangegal,

It is definitely a good time to buy a home in most areas of the country.

Obviously, you guys know the area since you've been here before and for long periods of time so now you just need to contact a realtor, pick a neighborhood and a price range. I think that looking now, before season starts will get you a lower priced home. A lot of house prices go up during season since there are many more people here.

Check out realtor.com so that you can get a look at what's available in your price range.

Good luck to you!

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
89 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

Hi RangeGal!

I just got home from a weekend in Philly, what a great city. Gorgeous weekend and tons of bikers and joggers on the path by the river. :-)

Welcome to Naples, it is a GREAT time to buy a house, especially as MamaBronx says over the summer.

If you are REALLY looking for a deal, you may think about heading slightly north. There are some super-cheap houses to be had in Cape Coral/ Ft Myers, many of which are foreclosures. Newish 3/2 2 car garage homes for around $115K!

I heard that this company will be offering a tour of foreclosures in Naples. http://www.foreclosuretoursrus.com/

Looks interesting. (I am not affliated with this in any way, my dad just told me about it.)

Good luck & let us know what you decide to do!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Cape Coral
Cape Coral
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

We are going to start our search in September. I didn't want to move north of Naples just because we didn't want a large commute. September early enough into the season to still get the deals?

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

September is not season yet but I would guess people interested in selling will be starting to get the ball rolling. Season starts around Thanksgiving.

Like I said, start checking with realtor.com and also the Naples Daily News website so you may get an idea of what is in your price range.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

You do know what you are getting into by living in Naples in your 20's ? Although I cannot say this is a bad town for first timers ( I am young and have been here for a while --this was my first house) this town is no Miami or even St Pete. Winters and vacations are a bit different than living here day in and out. You have to realize this is a laid back place. Check out the school system first. I won't say more.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples, FL
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

It is a good time to look for a good deal, but the listed prices are still all over the map. I own a Naples condo which is probably worth around $150,000, but I see similar condos listed from $100,000 to $200,000.

Also, lawyers and financial advisors will tell you it is dangerous for unmarried couples to buy real estate together. Get a good lawyer who can structure an agreement that will allow you both to get out of the situation, if you split.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

Thank you for the advice. I have not yet looked into the school systems, however not sure about the kids thing yet, so not too worried about that. I am looking forward to a slower pace of life, then where I currently am, so the lack of nightlife doesn't scare me too much. The only thing that really worries me is what the weather is like in the Summer/Fall.

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

From June to Sept, (and sometimes May and Oct) it is very hot, humid, and it regularly rains and thunders in the afternoon, making it even more of a sauna. It would be a good idea to come down now, for a week, before you commit to something in Sept.

Nutley, NJ
Level Contributor
37 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Naples in the Fall....any advice?

I've been following the Naples real estate market for quite some time. I almost bought 2 years ago, but luckily decided to wait and prices are now 30-40% less. I would strongly urge you to look into renting for a number of reasons:

1. Moving to a new area is a major undertaking and if you turn out not to like it a lease is easier to deal with than trying to sell a home in this market.

2. There are plenty of rentals available at reasonable rates as many owners cannot sell their homes.

3. As with any new area, it may take months to decide what neighborhood suits you best. By renting, you can have time to sort this out.

4. If you both don't have jobs, take time to find out where you will be working. Even if you have a job, who is to say you will like it. In a year this will be sorted out.

5. The market may not have hit bottom, and even if it has, no large increases in price are likely to occur in the near future.

6. You can save more money for a larger down payment.

Good luck and hope the move works out.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL