We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any relocation advice?

florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any relocation advice?

Hello--My husband was offered a job in both Naples and Orlando and we have to make a decision with in the next 2 weeks. We are in our 30's with a 18 month old---I have done alot of reading that suggests Naples isn't a family area, rather designed for retirees and tourists. Any comments or suggestions on neighborhoods? TIA!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any relocation advice?

Hello Floridaleeza,

I know nothing about Orlando except that Disneyworld is there so I cannot compare however, I am 45 years old and I have many friends my age and much younger living in Naples with young children like your own. I have been in Naples since 1988, younger than you are now and never had an issue where I thought it was designated towards retirees. Naples is a HUGE family community. Are there older people? Yes. Is it a tourist community? Maybe. I consider it more a resort community. Similar to areas in Rhode Island and the Hamptons. It's seasonal. Orlando IS a tourist destination. 24/7.

I would imagine the best person to help you with neighborhoods would be a Real Estate Agent. Your budget, whether you want a gated community, condo, private home, beachfront, etc. not to mention your daily commute (based on where your hubby would be working), would all be factors as to where you would want to live.

Hope this helps and best of luck whatever you decide!

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any relocation advice?

I can't think of an area with MORE retirees and tourists than Orlando and its surrounding areas!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any relocation advice?

I agree with mama - Naples IS a family community and I have children (your age) and grandchildren living, working and attending schools here. I also have a number of friends and neighbors living near me in Lely Resort with young children/ families. Good luck with your decision.

naples, florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any relocation advice?

My husband is a real estate broker. There is plenty to do here with kids in Naples. In particular there are some very nice family neighborhoods located along Orange Blossom Road - like Monterey and Mill Run. I would suggest that you contact a realtor and do some neighborhood shopping. There are many family neighborhoods in all price ranges that would be suitable.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any relocation advice?

The biggest difference between the two cities is at Naples is probably one of the most safest cities to live in. During the Christmas parade down Fifth Avenue I saw perhaps 50 strollers parked unattended by the kids and parents watching parade. So not only are there plenty of kids but it's much more of a hometown safe feel . The up side of Orlando is the amount of recreation from the theme parks and quite literally hundreds of things to do. But we can drive to Orlando in about 4 hours.

6. Re: Any relocation advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 08:21