We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alligators and snakes

england
5 posts
Save Topic
alligators and snakes

Do you get many alligator attacks in naples florida?, do people get them come into there gardens?

also, what about snakes in naples, are there many about?, poisonous?

I am from the UK, so its alien to me, just interested.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alligators and snakes

Thousands of people die in Naples every day from aligator attacks.

There are 753 species of poisonous snakes in the area - most live in the sewer system and tend to bite you when you are at your most vulnerable.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alligators and snakes

no you can't get into her crown any more, only to the pedestal which is below her feet.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alligators and snakes

Honestly, I don't think it's thousands, more likely not more than a few hundred. Seriously, gators and snakes aren't a problem, you're more likely to see a gator sunning himself on a bank or in the water. Unless you look like a little cuddly poodle you'll probably be okay!

Destin,Florida
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: alligators and snakes

How funny was that?

This made my day even better!!!

North East, England
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: alligators and snakes

on my 1st and only visit to naples, my hand was bitten off by a aligator, and i now have a hook for a hand, this can be interchanged to a fork, knife and many other useful tools with the flick of a wrist action.

also i was bitten by a 80 foot anaconda on the face, and now i only have 1 eye and half a nose, and i breathe through a small hole in my neck. my ears are uneffected.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: alligators and snakes

Is this a serious question? I'm a little perplexed by the other responses. Nevertheless...

There are quite a few alligators about, but whether you'll encounter any of them depends on where you're staying. I'm not aware of an alligator attack EVER in Naples, although that might change as the population gets denser close to the Everglades. It's likely you'll see some hanging around in a pond at a housing development or golf course and in a canal along U.S. 41, but you're not going to see them near the beach.

Florida has quite a lot of snakes, but only a few that can harm you. It's not out of the realm of possibility that you'd run into a rattlesnake if you were trudging through a palmetto thicket, but what are the odds you'll be doing that? Most snakes hanging around near homes are some version of a rat snake or a racer, both of which are harmless and beneficial because they eat the critters we don't want coming into our homes.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alligators and snakes

Much better answer Ms Kitty. There has been a couple of deaths in the last 2 years one Lady in Sanibel and another I think in Fort Myers was a maintence man who was hot and jumped into a cannal to cool off. The BIG BIG deal is DO NOT FEED OR INTICE A GATOR" We do not want them associating people with food. A recent couple that were fishing threw their scraps to a gator and were fined several thousands of $$. almost did jail time. So people do not want to "get them to come" anywhere Just leave them alone, and you will be fine. Just one other warning never swim in any body of water in Florida that is not a clear pool or the sea. there is always a potential gator hazzard.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers
Fort Myers
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
McDonough, GA
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: alligators and snakes

thousands die everyday from alligator attacks in Naples??? That figure is nothing short of a major exaggeration if you ask me. Use common sense when going near fresh water areas. You are in their domain!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alligators and snakes

I agree that common sense is essential. For example, use common sense when reading obviously silly responses.

I was also exaggerating when I suggested that snakes commonly bite you in the behind as you sit on the toilet.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: alligators and snakes

Poor Cat from Ipswich,

I feel sorry for you having to read all these responses as I had a bit of a fear before I went to Florida about seeing "alien predators" such as snakes and alligators. You will probably see Alligators by the side of "lakes" as you pass in the car but tourists (especially ones with snakes and alligator phobias)don't generally go off the beaten track and having been to Florida ten times I have never seen a real snake there.

We are off to Gulf Coast in a few weeks time too and my son is scared to swim in the sea as he has a thing about sharks so I understand that phobias are real and you just act with care and keep your wits as you would anywhere else.

You will have a great time and that is why this forum is so popular as you will get (some) sensible replies in amongst those from people who think the question isn't really serious.

Have fun and take care.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States