We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples for 50s singles?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Naples for 50s singles?

I am a single woman who just turned the big 5-0!

I am looking for a new and healthier lifestyle as I have lived in cold country for most of my life and I end up making every excuse not to go out of the house all winter.

I spent a summer in St. Augustine a few years ago and managed to survive the humidity so I'm sure I'd adjust to the climate. I loved going to the beach at 6 pm and taking my swim then when the sun wasn't so hot. It was heavenly.

Are there any over 40 singles groups in Naples? My only concern is how to go about meeting new people and starting over.

FYI: I am not planning to move unless I get a job offer first, and I would plan to rent (hopefully a cottage) for at least a year.

Any ideas, advice, pros/cons?

Thanks so much!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples for 50s singles?

Check the Meetup website under Naples Florida

www.meetup.com/cities/us/fl/naples/groups/…

Although they do not specifically list an 0ver 50 singles group, there are nuumber of groups listed you might be interested in or that you could contact for more information.

Good Luck!

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples for 50s singles?

Thanks so much...this is quite a list. Something for everyone.

I see that you are a Naples Expert. Can I ask you another question? Do you know anything about Naples Park? They have quite a few houses for rent so I was wondering if this is a good location. Ideally I'd like to rent a small house with a lanai for under $1,000/mo. Do you think this is realistic?

Thank you.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples for 50s singles?

I hope I won't offend too many people, and this is just MY opinion, but Naples Park (in general) is not a good neighborhood. However, for that reason, you could be able to find something in your price range there. If you are thinking a charming Key West-style cottage, that is not Naples Park -- primarily just small ordinary houses (except for some newer large ones which replaced some during the real estate boom). Since you are single, I would recommend renting a condo elsewhere with a communal pool/clubhouse where other residents would gather and you would have more opportunities to meet your neighbors. Also, if you check out the Naples Daily News online, they have lists of events and club meetings in the entertainment and lifestyle sections -- there's a group for almost every interest. Also, there are many adult education classes (including things like ballroom dancing) offered at the public schools. My husband and I are in our 50's and we made more wonderful friends in Naples in 3 years than we did in Massachusetts in 15.

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples for 50s singles?

Thanks. I have been looking at condos online too, but there are so many of them I don't even know where to start!

I like to do a little gardening so that's why I've been focused on houses. When I was in St. Augustine for a summer I rented a cute cottage that had a lovely back yard for $850/mo. I guess I was hoping to find something like that. The biggest issue was that it didn't have central a/c. The 20+ year old window air conditioner was cranking constantly and never kept up with the humidity. Needless to say I drank gallons of water that summer!

I am also from MA and I'm really looking for a change. It's great to hear that you made friends easily...I often hear that it's too big of a transition for people from the Northeast who aren't ready to retire yet. Sounds like you are glad to be there though. Good to know.

New York & Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples for 50s singles?

I agree with 'crankycook' - stay out of Naples Park. Not good.

With that said, there are plenty of groups/gatherings for your age group. Try to find a community with activities or better yet an activities director. I know you mentioned a 'cottage' but some of the larger gated communities have so much to offer...

Hope this helps.

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples for 50s singles?

Thanks for your message. There are so many condo and gated communities that I hardly know where to even start. Are there any in particular that you'd recommend in the North Naples area? I would not be looking to buy at this stage and I don't play golf so that is not important for me. Also, I don't expect to be right on the water. Basically I just want a friendly, safe, reasonably priced community.

Thank you.

7. Re: Naples for 50s singles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2009, 05:43