We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples vs South Beach

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san jose
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Naples vs South Beach

Wife and I planning a trip to Florida and she is set on visiting South Beach because of the Deco area and hotels. I have heard it is not safe and would prefer Naples. Which do you folks recommend for a first time visit to Florida? We're in our 50's.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples vs South Beach

I Love SoBe and it is perfectly safe. I've been there dozens of times, used public transportation, walked after midnight and never worried. Of course, you should always be aware of your surroundings and not walk through dark alleys and such. But that goes without saying whether in SoBe, Naples or San Jose.

That being said, what are your wifes other reasons for wanting to go to SoBe beside art deco buildings? Does she prefer the Atlantic Ocean over the Gulf of Mexico? Or more of a party night life? Perhaps because there are more beachfront hotels in Miami than there are in Naples?

Naples is more casual and refined. The water is calm, the sand soft. I think you would enjoy your evenings on Fifth Avenue South and Third Street South more than Ocean Drive. Lots of great shops and galleries. There are many fine restaurants here but in all fairness there are many fines ones in SoBe too. Just not on Ocean Drive.

We do have the BEST sunsets in Naples. No sunsets in Miami.

The bottom line is, what are you looking for in your vacation? I don't like to judge based on age because I know a lot of people in their 50's who prefer more of a active/party atmosphere.

Hope this helps!

san jose
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples vs South Beach

Thanks! Wife and I definitely enjoy people watching, walking and being active. Sounds like South Beach is a good choice. Thanks again, bro.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples vs South Beach

South Beach is quite safe and Naples is wealthy. If you want a place that's safe, wealthy, AND boring, consider Vero Beach.

4. Re: Naples vs South Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 09:18