We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Stone Crabs

I hear that besides Truluks the best place to go for Stone Crabs is Everglades City

1. Do you agree?

2. Where should I go if you do?

Are there any dives in Evergaldes City that are worth hitting. We love dives!!!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stone Crabs

Captain Brians on Marco Island also serves Stone Crabs

http://captbriens.com/menu.cfm

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stone Crabs

...or another place closer to Naples than the Everglades is Goodland - Old Marco Lodge has stone crab

http://www.oldmarcolodge.com/menu2.htm

Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stone Crabs

Thanks Patti...are there any good places in Everglades City that you know of? Supposedly thats where Stone Crab eating originated!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stone Crabs

No offense to Everglades City -- which we like to visit for a bit of Olde Florida about once a year -- but virtually every place there is a "dive", in the nicest sense(very casual, relaxed, not fancy) of that word. Just head down the one road into town (it is VERY small), and look for a place that appeals to you.Walk a little bit around the town and ask a local. Maybe look for someplace with lots of motorcycles parked outside. 180 degrees difference in price and atmosphere than Truluck's, although I think Mondays are "all you can eat for $50" stone crab nights.

A place we've been meaning to try is The Roadkill Cafe (gotta love that name) down that way .Our neighbors, nice Jewish lawyers ,are bikers and love it. I don't know exactly where it is (anyone?) or if stone crabs are ever on the menu.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stone Crabs

We had lunch at a pretty good place a year or so ago, can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I remember it being sorta on a dead end road on the left side of the road. Had a nice large porch that looked out over the water.

We did not care for the Rod and Gun club at all. We felt as though we were "bothering" them by having lunch at their establishment.

Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stone Crabs

Were they both in Everglades City???

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stone Crabs

Both places I mentioned are in EC. Not sure what's on their menu's since it's been awhile. Might be worth checking out though.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
186 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stone Crabs

Try the Oysterhouse. We ate there a few times in May of this year. I don't eat stone crabs, but they had them on the menu. It is a total dive, but the food was good.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
186 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stone Crabs

Try the Oysterhouse. We ate there a few times in May of this year. I don't eat stone crabs, but they had them on the menu. It is a total dive, but the food was good. By the way it is in everglades city. Right across from Everglades National Park marina. You could even get in a boat ride if you want!

Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stone Crabs

Thanks Patti, cranky, VB & cheri....all good ideas as usual and on the hit parade for our Christmas visit!