We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine dining

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rapid city
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Fine dining

We are coming to Naples in November with a group of 12 adults. I am responsible for finding upscale restaurants for dinner, three different evenings. I am hopeful of finding lovely restaurants that aren't outrageously priced. I prefer to avoid chains, noisy restaurants & steak focused restaurants (we're from "steak territory" & want a different experience). Would you please make suggestions that I can further check into.

Thanks so much!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine dining

Naples has some very good restaurants, but Michelin isn't going to be giving out a lot of stars anytime soon. I don't know what you consider "outrageously priced" (I encountered someone online from Indiana the other day who said they'd never been to an expensive restaurant like Applebee's -- I kid you not), but you did ask for "upscale". Visit the websites for the restaurants I and I'm sure others will mention and check out the menus and prices.

Having said that, one thing you'll find in Naples that you won't in Rapid City is dining on the beach. While there aren't a lot of beachfront restaurants in Naples, I think the two nicest are the Turtle Club and Baleen at LaPlaya resort. I would vote for Turtle Club, as you can dine right on the sand.Be sure to reserve for 15-30 minutes before sunset, so that you can sip cocktails while watching one of our gorgeous Gulf sunsets. I promise it will make for a memorable evening.

Other "upscale" restaurants with very good food and ambiance (but no views) include Truluck's (seafood), Campiello (Italian), Sea Salt (seafood), Roy's (seafood), I'm counting on others to chime in with some other recommendations that meet your criteria.

If you want to go one night in a different direction for a tropical, fun feel (there is music and it is noisy, but I promise it will be festive), you might want to try Tommy Bahama's.

Good luck -- and do make your reservations ASAP, as you do need to accommodate 12.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine dining

Cranky has made some very good suggestions. All have websites so just google them. I believe they all post their menus so you can get an idea of the cost.

Since we do not know what you consider expensive we can only list what we consider fine and lovely. I'm sure there are at least three that Cranky and I suggest that are quite nice in within your budget.

I will add Ridgeway Bar and Grill on Third Street South:

http://www.ridgwaybarandgrill.com/

M Waterfront Grill in Venetion Village

http://www.mwaterfrontgrille.com/

Cafe Lurcat on Fifth Avenue South

www.damico.com/frame.asp…

Bistro 821

http://www.bistro821.com/

Enjoy!

rapid city
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine dining

Thank you, Crankycook and Mama. A couple of friends who have second homes in Naples also recommended LaPlaya, Tommy Bahamas (even though it is a chain), Campiellos, & Ridgeways among others. We like the idea of dining on the beach so will definitely research Turtle Club. A few posts on Tripadvisor about Campiellos seem to indicate that it's a bit rundown and quite noisy, making it hard to talk among your friends. Has that been your experience?

They also suggested Bay House on Walkerbilt, Bha Bha, Alexanders, & Cot d'Azur. Any thoughts on those? I will check out all your suggestions and truly appreciate your time and expertise.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine dining

I agree that Campiello's can be very noisy but it is hardly run down. I like sitting in the back garden.

Bayhouse is the same owners as The Turtle Club and has nice water views but I would go to the Turtle Club if you only have 3 nights of dining. Both have great food but you get true beach front dining at Turtle Club.

I like Bha Bha Bistro. Very good mediterrainean food.

I have never dined in Alexanders or Cot'd'Azur so I cannot comment, sorry.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine dining

Ajudes --

I know you asked for "no chains", but many of our restaurants in Naples also have branches in other cities (such as Tommy Bahamas, Campiello and Trulucks). I differentiate between those and restaurants that have an outpost in or near every mall in America. I figure that if it is a restaurant that you are only likely to encounter in Naples and a few other cities that aren't ordinarily accessible to you, then it doesn't really qualify as a "chain". In fact, one of Naples' local favorites, Naples Tomato (one restaurant/wine bar in a strip mall), is about to start franchising as a result of its success.

Ironically, it's been my observation that some of the quietest restaurants here are the steakhouses (although certainly not the Keg). And most of them are "chains". But you are absolutely right to try for something you can't get at home. That's the whole point of traveling, isn't it?

rapid city
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine dining

Hey Cranky & Mama,

I've checked out your suggestions and have thus far made reservations for our group at the Turtle Club & Campellios. I also made reservations at Baleen, at the LaPlaya resort, because it looks gorgeous & definitely upscale. However, after checking the Tripadvisor website, it's reviews were so questionable, I called back to cancel the reservation. Now I'm leaning toward Sea Salt & Trulucks. Sea Salt receives wonderful reviews from multiple sources but the ambiance looks sterile and "stripmallish". Of course I am open to other options as well. Would you be able to further guide me?

Thanks!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine dining

While the food is great at both restaurants, you might like the decor at Truluck's better. More traditionally elegant and darker than Sea Salt's modern airy chic. Also, they often have a pianist at Truluck's which adds to the nice atmosphere.

Just my personal opinion......

rapid city
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fine dining

Thank you, I'll make reservations with Trulucks tonight. (And yes, I see it is a chain...but there are Chains and then there are chains. :>) )

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
718 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fine dining

Stay away from the Turtle Club...you have been warned. They will pack you in like sardines. The place will be loud and the food is avergae to below average. The service is terrible and the place is living off its beach location, which is nice I must admit, but that is all they have going for them. I am surprised nobody has mentioned Trulucks. The place is very nice, downtown, and has fantastic food/wine. Very expensive but it is a great dinning experience. Sea Salt is also very nice. Very high end but you wont see anything else like it in Naples. It will be a culinary adventure and you wont be dissapointed.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
718 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fine dining

Pardon my earlier mistake as people have indeed mentioned Trulucks.