We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant tip

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant tip

We're visiting friends in Naples this week. We were walking around 5th street and wanted to dine at Sea Salt, but was told that the wait was unfortunately about an hour.

So, we thought we'd have to look elsewhere. But I pulled out my iPhone and launched the Open Table application to see what else might be available in the area, only to find that Sea Salt was wide open for reservations. It was 7:30 and I quickly snapped up a 7:45 reservation.

As we enjoyed a drink at the bar I kept hearing the hostess continually tell people that there was up to an hour wait. Imagine her surprise when we turned back up again - this time with a reservation, only minutes later.

Very much enjoyed the meal - all around the table.

Gotta love technology.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant tip

Wow! Did it look like all the tables were full? That is certainly not good customer service and I would have said something to the hostess or asked the manager why they were telling people it was an hour wait time when tables were available at that very moment.

Hope you're enjoying your time in Naples, otherwise and thanks for the Open table tip!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant tip

It was really full, so it was actually a good thing. Made me wonder though if Open Table is new to the area. We're used to blocks of time being unavailable at San Francisco restaurants. It makes me think the restaurants aren't sure how to turn off availability.

Really enjoyed Sea Salt, had an awful experience at Bice and posted a review. They seemed to be completely overcrowded and understaffed at Bice. And there must have been some sort of implosion in the kitchen. Wouldn't recommend Bice to anyone. Would definitely send people to Sea Salt though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant tip

Open table has been around a while here but Sea Salt is only a couple of years old. Gets consistently great reviews. I've only done lunch there so far and enjoyed it. Never dined in the Bice on 5th, just had drinks when they have the latin band and dancing. The Bice Bistro in Coconut Grove is pretty good as is the one in NYC. Maybe a kitchen problem as you said.

What did you decide for tonight?

Westwood, NJ
Level Contributor
992 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant tip

So, was it good or not?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant tip

Sea Salt was great the night we went. And wouldn't you know that I caught cold on New Year's Even and spent the night with Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark. =-(

I gave Bice a horrible review online and the owner has emailed me, offering a gift card to return. It's kind of funny because he swears they are not a chain because each restaurant is apparently individually owned (yeah, just like Olive Garden or McDonald's).

He apologized for our awful experience, but seriously, if they can't serve the customers, they shouldn't take reservations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant tip

Hey..sorry you got sick for NYE :-( I hope you still enjoyed yourself! ;-)

It was nice of Bice to offer you a gift card in return for the aweful service you received but stating they are not a chain is just plain silly.

Hope you enjoyed Naples while you were here! Happy New Year.

7. Re: Restaurant tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2010, 05:16