We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

Hi, we are a family of 2 adults and 4 kids (16, 13, 2 & 10mths) and we are hoping to get to Florida for 2 weeks at Easter. I'm thinking about a combination of coast and Orlando so was considering a split holiday - renting a villa in Naples or Sarasota and then Orlando (to keep the teens happy). I'm getting really confused as our flight options can go into either Miami, Tampa or Orlando airports but it looks like it works out very expensive to fly in and out of different airports - arhhhh!!! I was also looking at the Caribbean but thought I would check out our options for Florida first. I would like to holiday in lovely surrounding (especially since this is going to cost us a fortune!!). Any help/ideas would be much appreciated Am I looking at the wrong areas? - Cheers from a very confused London mummy!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
The Caribbean Resort at Sea Isle
The Caribbean Resort at...
106 Reviews
Islamorada, FL
essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

Mel, you are looking at the right place!

A week at the gulf coast will be prefect and the locations are all very pretty!

You could choose

Sanibel Island

Fort Myers Beach

Naples

Marco Island

Siesta Beach

Anna Maria Island

Clearwater Beach

and so on!!

I would personally think about what you are looking for...

Relaxing?? A little party?? Nice Beach?? Day Trips??

Then I would go to the different forums and read a bit. Surely you will find what fits you the most!

One little thing:

I would do Orland first and THEN relax at the beach!!

Tampa would be a great airport for you!

Orlando is only 45 min away and areas like anna maria or siesta beach are in a diameter of 45 to 60 min too.

Even Naples would only be a short 3 hour drive from Tampa...

A lot of choices! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Mel's Diner
Mel's Diner
688 Reviews
Naples, FL
London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

Thanks so much. Which of the areas would you personally recommend? I read that Naples is not so built up on the coastline and it looked like you could do a bit of walking/ambling around. Also, is there any area of Orlando that is more pleasant to stay in (nice surroundings)?

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

Hi, meant to say we are looking for relaxing, beach and day trips (get bored sitting around too much). Not in the slightest interested in busy nightlife when I will have 2 babies with me...

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

You could try Continental UK website. The last twice we have travelled to Florida it has been cheaper to fly into and out of different airports. We flew into Orlando and back from Fort Myers (RSW). Sarasota and Naples are both lovely but my vote would be for Naples. The bonus is Fort Myers auirport is only a short drive from Naples at the end of the holiday. It is normally quiet with no big lines at check in, so less stress for all.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

I have done what you propose several times and it is a great idea. Once, I did rent a home in the Naples area and that is a great way to holiday with kids. I have also done it in the Sarasota area and the Englewood area, both of which I preferred for different reasons (but Naples was still nice). You can get a pool home or a 2/3 bed condo.

Your problem as far as I can see is that you are late in booking some place for Easter. My house generally books for Easter way before now (ie up to a year in advance) but you will still find something if you get looking pronto!

good rental sites I have used in the past are VRBO, Homeaway, and holidayrentals.co uk, but gulfcoastrentals is good too as they specialize in those areas.

In orlando (and go to that forum for good advice) I like LBV in the downtown disney area to be close tot he action. I recommend for a family your size you rent a 3 bed condo at Cypress pointe resort, or get a 2 bedroom suite at Homewood Suites or Staybridge suites as these have kitchens but include a breakfast buffet daily yet are walking distance to things (CPis next to SS and they have moe than 15 places to walk to nearby, HW not as many). Sometimes, even if you have a car it is nice to be able to walk out at night (which you can't do at a villa in all likelyhood).

If you want a villa in the Orlando area, I suggest looking at the Formosa gardens area which is the closest to disney.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Cypress Pointe Resort
Cypress Pointe Resort
1,141 Reviews
Orlando, FL
London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

Hi, Unfortunately I cannot get flights direct from Fort Myer to London. We are now looking at the option of just going to Naples rather than trying to do Orlando as well. Which is the closer airport Tampa or Miami?

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

If you want to stay in Naples it doesn´t really matter...

Miami is 2 Hours away and Tampa maybe 2,5 or 3...

I would check which air fair is better for you ... What about Fort Lauderdale? This is also good!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

You don't need to fly into Ft Myers direct, you can connect like we are with US airways from either Gatwick or manchester. But if you are connecting and want naples, then just fly into Naples aiport itself.

You are renting a car anyway, so don't let flight aiport dictate where you stay and what you do. It is easy to drive to OrIando from MIA or anywhere, then travel on to Sarasota or Naples then back to where-ever your flights are. In any case, I recommend spending you first night at an aiport hotel, unless you are only an hour or so away as you are very tried and jetlagged flying from the UK.

I am not sure why you want to drop orlando, if your kids want to go there.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

okay-- this is the opposite coast for you, but thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.ronjonresort.com/ Friends of mine with kids and grandkids stayed and really liked it.

Cocoa Beach area, your teens would like. Old village of Cocoa, YOU would like :) NASA is close by if you're into that sort of thing and also a beach there that is part of the national seashore. Not one building or sign of humans on Playlinda Beach aside from some restrooms in the parking lot.

You are about an hour from DIsney should you choose to day trip there. About an hour south of Daytona Beach and the Ponce Inlet lighthouse which is very nice if you like that sort of thing. Can climb to the top, too.

St Augustine is 2 hours north. We've done that for a day trip from the area as well. Huge old fort, beach and very cool old town buildings, shops, etc.

Have never stayed on the west coast, so NO opinions on that, but... thought I'd throw out some options for the east coast. Fly into Orlando-- about an hour to the east coast.

Either way-- some nice WARM weather is good no matter what you choose :)

Mentioned in this post
Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach
Brevard County, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family unsure where to holiday in Florida - help!!

Due to the cost of flights we may leave the teens with their mum and holiday with them later in the year (a bit mean I know), meaning it would be adults, toddler and baby. Also means we can holiday in term time rather than being restricted to Easter hols. Thanks for all the suggestions so far....