We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To rent a car or not

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
To rent a car or not

We are headed to Naples in May & wondered how hard it would be to NOT rent a car. Is there transportation from the Ft Myers airport? Or will we spend a fortune in cabs? Also we are thinking of staying at the Ritz. Any negatives with this choice? Thx!

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To rent a car or not

It would be best to rent a car because you would spend a small fortune on cabs.

Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To rent a car or not

Definitely get a car and the Ritz is a great place.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To rent a car or not

I'm also one of those people that hates to rent (and be responsible for!) a car while on vacation. I much prefer to use public transportation, walk or bike wherever I am going. But, you will find that in Naples, you really do need a car.

The Ritz is in a nice location and is a beautiful property, but you will want to see and do other things around the area.

Have fun! We've rented a villa for a week in April, I cannot wait...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To rent a car or not

Hello,

Naples is not very easy to get around without a car. The public transportation system is infrequent and not convenient to the areas of Naples you may want to visit. There is a trolly system that has hop on hop off privilages and stops at some of the more touristy areas but I don't know how often or long into the evening they run. If you really are set against renting then I suggest you stay closer to downtown/Old Naples so you are closer to beaches and dining and shopping.

http://www.naplestrolleytours.com/

All that being said there are taxis at the ready for pick up and I believe the cost to the area of the Ritz is 65.00 plus tip. The fares are zoned per neighborhood and you can get info on the transportation page of the website for Regional Southwest Airport.

http://www.swfia.com/transportation/

Taxis in general are quite expensive so be prepared to spend a lot of money getting around. Driving in Naples is not bad at all and traffic will be at a minimum in May since season is over and most snowbirds have all gone back north so renting a car will really be a great advantage to you.

As far as the Ritz Carlton goes you can't get better than that. The beach resort is just grand and luxurious and even their golf resort is quite beautiful and they offer a shuttle every 30 minutes back and forth. You are able to use the amenities in each hotel.

Hope this helps!

Nutley, New Jersey
Level Contributor
314 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To rent a car or not

In calculating whether to rent a car or use taxis, don't overlook the parking fees that the Ritz will charge, which can run up to $20 per day, unless you have a package which includes parking.

6. Re: To rent a car or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 08:17