We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Topic
Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Hi - Young couple in 30s with no kids heading to Naples for a relaxing vacation for 2 days in early july. trying to decide between the Ritz and Edgewater resort. Both have negative & positive reviews. Budget non-issue. Only requirement is resort needs be on the beach and should have a gr8 pool and the rooms should have a good view of the ocean/beach. Pls advise

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Well, the Ritz Carlton Beach and the Edgewater Resort are like comparing platinum to silver. Honestly, I"m surprised you've narrowed your choices to these two as they are not really similar at all. If you are seeing comparable prices for the two then either the Ritz is giving the room away or the Edgewater is over charging.

First, the Edgewater just has an OK pool so if a great pool is a requirement then you can forget the Edgewater all together.

Second, the Ritz is pure luxury and while the Edgewater is very nice, it's has none of the amenities the Ritz has.

That being said, they both attract families so if you want to be around less children you won't find that in either of these. Have you looked at La Playa Resort. They have a lovely tropical pool, beach front dining and usually have less children, but you will still find them there. If I were choosing between any two hotels it would be The Ritz Beach and La Playa.

Hope this helps!

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
620 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Hi , I also agree that maybe you should look at La Playa, we 've stayed there several times and love it .I think it's great for couples . It's very tropical and closer to beachfront than the Ritz(you have to walk kind of a long boardwalk to get to their beach and the property is quite large).As said before,the Ritz does attract ALOT of kids, as well as many conventions, so while it is very nice and upscale ,that can be a downside. I have not stayed at the Edgewater however so I can't be any help there.

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

thanks...will research La playa prices. didn't think it was right on the beach but will look again

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

LaPlaya has three buildings -- the beachfront tower, the beachfront/poolside low-rise and the low-rise bayfront directly across the street. The first two are literally "walk out onto the beach",(really can't get any closer unless you are in a turtle's nest), the gulf views from the tower are magnificent, and the bayfront rooms tend to be the least expensive but have pretty canal views.

LaPlaya has a very intimate non-glitzy pool but fabulous service at it and the beach. It also has one of the few beachside dining rooms (Baleen) and a cute TikiBar and a firepit for smores, cocktails, cigars, happy hour etc.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Hi Cranky,

Whats a smore???? not heard of that before....please can you tell me.....

Many thanks Laura

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Hi Laura --

Since you're a dessert fan, I KNOW you'll like these:

A "s'more" (as in, I want "some more") is an old traditional Girl Scout campfire dessert. Ingredients: 2 graham crackers (Nabisco Honey Maid are the best), a small chocolate bar (Hershey's is traditional) and some marshmallows. Oh, and a long twig.

First you toast a couple of marshmallows by placing them on the end of the twig and holding them over a campfire (or other open flame, but watch out for melting marshmallows) . Place on bottom graham cracker while hot (minus the twig, of course), place chocolate bar on top, cover with top graham cracker and press together to hold. Yummylicious !

In recent years, as part of the "comfort food" craze, lots of restaurants are even serving make your own s'mores for dessert over little hibachis.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Cranky,

well will have to give that a go, think will have to find an alternative to graham crackers, with some Cadbury's dairy milk......sounds yummy....think the girls will like that at my world cup cocktail party next friday with a small barbi....will go great with a hazlenut ice cocktail.............Thank you...Laura

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

The hazelnut ice cocktail sounds yummy. How do you make this?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Laura --

Never tried to substitute, but maybe some other flat "cookie" would do. It has to be sweet -- not plain or salty like a true cracker. A shortbread might do if it isn't too fragile. They don't use crushed graham crackers in the UK for pie crusts? Maybe that's why you all like our cheesecake better (although I also saw some mention in another forum about gelatin in a British recipe for cheesecake -- yuck). And Cadbury is soooo much better than Hershey. Have a great party and don't set anyone on fire ( only do this outdoors). Let me know how it goes.

Cranky

Rock Hill, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edgewater resort vs Ritz Carlton Beach resort

Just got back (yesterday) from a week @ Edgewater.... Waldorf Astoria? HAH! While it was nice and small so as not to be overcrowded we stayed in the "renovated" tower (4th floor with a view of the gulf over the roof below). It includes a kitchen (dishes, utensils, frig, microwave.... no pots, pans, etc and they wash your dishes), dining area, king bed, dresser, nice size bath w/shower and living room from the Flintstones! The sofa and chairs are straight backed with bolsters and the seats are hard as rocks covered in vinyl. The carpets thru out were so icky and dirty. The pools were fine, but not resort-like, but the beach was right next to the pools and very nice! Shade is at a premium around the pool, they rent umbrellas on the beach. But the nerve to consider this place in the same breath as W/A, with our preconceived ideas of W/A is a crime.

Also be aware they add a 18.5% tip to all restaurant charges. I had many words with the Food Service mgr about this policy. She insisted Hilton has this policy at all their resorts and after we went to the Naples Grand for the day w/o this charge being applied to lunch we spoke again. I WON!

After all that, with the few on-the-beach choices in Naples, I would probably stay there again. You could also check the Naples Beach Resort/Club, a few doors away from the Edgewater.

Have fun, use sunscreen!

Get answers to your questions about Naples