We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

Chapel Hill, North...
1 post
Save Topic
Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

I've recently booked an October stay in Pink Shell Beach Spa & Resort, but I'm becoming concerned that's it's too family orientated. We both love beaches and wanted to participate in snorkeling, para-sailing, water sports activities. We were considering the cruise to Key West and the Princess Cruise to Naples when I found out that Naples is more romantic island. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should cancel our Pink Shell stay and find a hotel in Naples. Or is our idea to cruise to Naples sufficient. I just want a place we can enjoy, that's laid back and romantic.

So which would you suggest for a honeymoon Naples or Ft. Myers?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

Hello and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

While I think the Pink Shell is a beautiful resort I have to agree that it is very family oriented and I just don't think that Ft. Myers Beach is a "honeymoon" resort town.

October is still off season so you can get some great rates at a beach front resort in Naples. The Ritz Carlton is probably the best as far as beach front resorts go but I like La Playa Resort better. It is more intimate and tropical, with very nice beach front dining at Baleens. Downtown Naples is a great place to walk around shop, dine or enjoy a cocktail. You can't get more laid back than Naples!

Best wishes to you!

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

Have you considered Captiva or Sandibel Island's, those two Island's are what you are lookin' for per your post!!!! How bout Marco Island just below Naples?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

A few thoughts...Naples is not an island, where Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, Captiva and Marco Island are. If you're looking for beach activities, like para-sailing, jet-skis, kayaks, etc, you'll find more of them on Fort Myers Beach. While there are beach vendors for those in Naples, they're harder to find. Snorkeling is not on the menu in Naples or anywhere really in SWFL-the sandy bottom tends to make the water a bit too cloudy for snorkeling.

As for family friendly, in October, there would not be a lot of kids anywhere. But keep in mind that this is Naples, and many visitors have enough money to bring their children to the most exclusive of resorts, so you won't be guaranteed a child free stay anywhere.

So, bottom line, if you value quiet days lounging on the beach and great dining, stay in Naples. If you want to play on the beach and in the water and enjoy some nightlife, stay in Fort Myers Beach. Both beaches are beautiful! There are plenty of options for dining. FMB is a 45 minute drive from Naples, so staying in one place does not exclude spending time in the other.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,662 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

I think the Pink Shell Resort is lovely with a beautiful poll and beach. As said before in Oct. you are not going to find many children. You might like to check Lovers Key resort FMB, the travel channel did a piece in it re: honeymoon resort.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

This isn't in the area you're considering, but look into the Kona Kai Resort in Key Largo (konakairesort.com). It's an adults-only, small, quaint and romantic inn. There are many watersports in the keys including snorkeling, boat rentals, etc. Kona Kai has a lovely pool area and a "sunning beach" with plenty of hammocks and loungers. There are paddle boats and kayaks that you can use. It's on the bay side of the Keys, so you get the beautiful sunsets.

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
679 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

I think Naples is more romantic and adult oriented(more sophisticated as well, no offense but Fort Myers Beach reminds me of Ocean City MD-just not our thing). I agree with the previous poster about La Playa Resort -it is quite romantic and very tropical-beautiful pool area and very nice rooms with large balconies. There are so many great romantic restaurants in downtown Naples on 5th ave or 3rd st. as well, along with wonderful shops on beautiful palm lined streets with outdoor cafes. Sanibel is also wonderful(more laid back and nature oriented-we actually split our time between both when we go twice a year). There we like Song of the Sea, a small european type inn that's mainly adults with a pretty courtyard with a fountain for breakfast, free bikes and lovely tropical setting. Enjoy your honeymoon no matter what your pick.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,662 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

Kona Kai Resort looks beaitiful, perfect for a honeymoon.

8. Re: Naples or Ft. Myers for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 06:17