We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

My boyfriend and I are going for a long weekend with another couple in April - we want beaches ( hotels w/ beach side bars a plus!) but also restaurants, bars and golf nearby. I'm afraid Naples is too "quiet"...Ft Lauderdale seems like it may be best? Or we're also looking at Ft. Myers. HELP with any recco's! We are open to resorts/hotels but also rental properties. Also not a fan of the "typical trashy" type of scene either. THANKS!!!

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,623 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

You might like the Diamond Head Beach Resort, they have a nice pool and beach bar and is in walking distance to Times Sq. The Best Western is also very nice both located on Estero Blvd. FMB. Naples is nice but might be on the quiet side.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

thank you so much! Yes we were thinking Naples was way too quiet. I appreciate it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

I don't think Naples will be too quite for a long weekend and you won't find better golf. The Ritz has a beach side bar, as does The Edgewater, La Playa, Naples Beach Hotel and Naples Grande Hotel. Fifth Avenue South and Third Street South are full of restaurants as is Mercato. Mercato has a great Pub as well as many other restaurants and for cocktails and entertainment there is Blue Martini, Burn (cigar bar if your group likes to smoke), and Pure Urban Oasis.

http://www.mercatoshops.com/default.asp

On Fifth there are some great restaurants and shops. Cafe Lurcat is a great restaurant and downstairs is a lounge where you can get small plates and enjoy cocktails. Yabba's has a DJ on the weekends. Serves good Caribbean food too.

http://www.fifthavenuesouth.com/

On Third there's Tommy Bahamas, always a fun atmosphere and Handsome Harry's has great food and entertainment.

http://www.thirdstreetsouth.com/

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

"Also not a fan of the "typical trashy" type of scene."

Then be cautious about going to Fort Myers.

Naples is relatively quiet but, as mama924 says, not too quiet for a long weekend.

Taking into account your requirements, I'd recommend Key West as the perfect location for a long weekend.

It's a great place with a wonderful laid-back but buzzy atmosphere, lots to see and do, and I suspect very few people could fail to enjoy themselves there.

You can fly to Key West but consider driving from either Miami or Key Largo. The scenery along the 'Overseas Highway' ( U.S. 1) from Key Largo is truly breathtaking - you really appreciate the serene beauty of the Florida Keys. From Miami: about 3.5 hrs, from Key Largo about 2 hrs.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 06:27
Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

Lots of choices in southern FL! I guess you really cannot go wrong for a weekend.

As mama924 says, if you want golf and beaches, you cannot go wrong with Naples. But yes, it can be quiet - although the weekends are usually pretty busy. We're heading down for a week in April, and if it is anything like last year, it depends on where you hang out. Some parts of Naples roll up the sidewalks at 8 PM, other places are more like midnight. Definitely not a "South Beach, party till you drop" vibe (thank goodness :-)

My favorite vacation place in all of FL is Key West. It is a great place to go with friends - but there is only 1 golf course and there are really no beaches except for some man-made small areas. On the other hand, KW is surrounded by water, there are tons of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. to keep you busy. There is live music pretty much all day and night long.

I get to Fort Lauderdale and Miami quite a bit for work, so I don't really have a feel for them as vacation spots. But they both have vibrant downtowns and big beaches. And of course, cheap flights from NYC.

I can't really comment on Ft Myers. I fly in and out of the airport to get to Naples, that's about it!

Good luck!! I'm sure you'll have fun wherever you go...

Maryland
Level Contributor
395 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

Naples...5th Avenue was not quiet at night. It was bustling with tons of nice restaraunts that had nice bars. About 10 blocks of options. Not trashy at all. Naples has golf courses but spread out that I could see.

There is Siesta key Sarasota but no beachside bars, they have a entertainment district but not as nice or big as 5th Ave Naples.

Look into Lido key also, they have some resorts with some beachside restaraunts and bars. And St Armands is close too. Nice area.

There was much less in Ft Lauderdale than the gulf side areas. There was just a dusting of a restaraunt district. Pretty dissapointing and boring.

Ft Meyers had what you said you were not a fan of.

I recently came back from Naples and Lido and was looking for the same thing you were. Was very pleased with both areas. Sounds like you are looking for maybe a Key West type atmosphere. Closest to that is Siesta Key on a very small scale.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

Post a query in the St. Pete Beach forum. You'll get lots of responses and recommendations. It has all your requirements.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,951 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

We find Naples very quiet! Maybe look at Jupiter Florida. Abacoa there is a nice public golf course as is North Palm Beach Country Club. Lots to do nearby in Jupiter, Juno Beach, Palm Beach Gardens etc within a 15 minute drive max. Ck out Jupiter Beach Resort, Marriott Ocean Palms, Palm Beach Shores Resort. Also you may be able to get onto one of the courses at PGA National. We like Abacoa and NPB Country Club better. Lots of hotels and restaurants and plenty of beach side bars for a long weekend. There is a "party boat" water taxi that visits four or five of these by water (Wylder's, Castaways...where 5 oclock somewhere was filmed....Guanabana's and the Crab House. Most have music on the weekends! All are in Jupiter. Nearest airport West Palm Beach PBI.

Delray Beach may be another option for you. Not sure about the golf there.

9. Re: Where in Florida should we go?? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Naples